Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Week Twenty: Wacky 80s - Devo - "Girl U Want" - Tank Girl Soundtrack

I believe that I mentioned in one of my Psychedelic Furs' posts that I saw When in Rome, Psychedelic Furs, and Devo back in 2006 at The Fair Park Band Shell.  Devo's performance was full of crazy energy, and I could not wait until they played this song!  

My gay best friend in college was a huge fan of the film, Tank Girl.  He would often have it playing as background noise in his room as he worked on all of his crazy art projects. He found it to be inspiring.

I really liked the soundtrack for the film, but what ultimately convinced me to purchase it was this song.  I went to wikipedia to find out more about this particular tune, and I read that it was created in the style of "My Sharona" by The Knack.  I can totally hear it, now that it's been pointed out to me, but I honestly never realized that before.

This video is incredibly bizarre and is filmed in the same style for which many have come to know and love Devo!




She sings from somewhere you can't see She sits in the top of the greenest tree She sends out an aroma of undefined love It drips on down in a mist from above [Chorus] She's just the girl, she's just the girl The girl u want She's just the girl, she's just the girl The girl u want You hear her calling everywhere you turn You know you're headed for the pleasure burn But the words get stuck on the tip of your tongue She's the real thing but you knew it all along [Chorus] Look at you with your mouth watering Look at you with your mind spinnin' Why don't we just admit it's all over She's just the girl u want [Chorus] She sings from somewhere you can't see She sits in the top of the greenest tree She sends out an aroma of undefined love It drips on down in a mist from above [Chorus] Look at you with your mouth watering Look at you with your mind spinnin' Why don't we just admit it's all over She's just the girl u want [Chorus] She's just the girl, she's just the girl The girl u want She's just the girl, she's just the girl

No comments:

Post a Comment