Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week Nineteen: Empire Records - The Martinis - "Free" - Empire Records Soundtrack


+++++++Spoiler Alert+++++++

I will be revealing what happens throughout the course of the film as I am simultaneously speaking about the soundtrack; so you might want to go watch it before reading these posts...

++++++++++++++++++

So if you are at all familiar with this film, then you know that this tune is playing in the scene where Debra chops her hair and then shaves her head in the employee restroom.  After arriving on her super-cool Vespa and flipping off Gina and Corey on her way to the back office, Debra heads immediately to the restroom.  Lucas and A.J. notice that she has a bandage on her wrist - to signify an attempted suicide -  but feel that she will be safe since she is at the store. 

After exiting the restroom, Debra tells A.J. that her hair is still in the sink if he wants to glue it - as an art project.  Debra then heads to the register where she has some heated words with Corey and Gina.

My favorite line from the film comes shortly after all of this and will always be when Gina (played by Renee Zellweger) says to Debra (played by Robin Tunney): "Well, Sinead O'Rebellion, shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior!"  I cannot even count the number of times I have repeated this line in my entire existence!! (clip included below the lyrics)



Omnipresent phrase in my mind
Spoken word I've said one million times
Who are you to tell me it'll always be this way
I close my eyes and I turn around
And leave it all behind

So free for the moment
Lost somewhere between the earth and the sky
So free for the moment
Lost because I wanna be lost
Don't try to find me

Always try to breeze through my life
Repetitious things I've done one million times
Who are you to tell me that I'll always be this way
I close my eyes and I turn around
And leave it all behind

What could I do
It's not such a terrible thing
What would you do
It's not such a terrible thing

So free for the moment
Lost somewhere between the earth and the sky
So free for the moment
Lost because I wanna be lost
So free for the moment
Lost somewhere between the earth and the sky
So free for the moment
Lost because I wanna be lost
Don't try to find me




 

No comments:

Post a Comment