Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week Twenty-One: Wild Card Week: Starflyer 59 - "I Win" - My Island


Week Twenty-One, aka Wild Card Week, will be full of random gems
-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-


It is a very interesting story about how I came across this song. Back when I still had cable TV, right after I moved into my duplex and right before Time Warner realized that I was getting it for free, I used to be one of those crazy channel-flippers because I could never find a program that could hold my attention for very long (except for The Real Housewives of New York – don't even ask!)

One evening when I had embarked upon my channel-flipping routine, I was stopped dead in my tracks by this tune. Now here's the interesting part: when I realized what channel I had stopped on, it turned out to be the Christian Television Channel – yeah, the one where they show Mass and nuns singing hours worth of Gregorian chants and priests lying prostrate on the altar and such. Yep, it's all weird to me too, and I grew up surrounded by it.

I am still uncertain what this band's link to Christianity is exactly. I briefly tried to research it on Wikipedia, and all I could find was a tag at the bottom of the page that said something like: Christian bands from California. Regardless, this song rocks – thanks, Christian Television Channel!!


When I try to erase or calculate
For a moment could you just decide
Which way to go I need advice

I've been wrong, it's just close quarters
And they have a way to cloud your mind
Is my lot in life to just resign
Oh could you tell me

Should I travel, and maybe get the starring part
And a monogram that says I W-I-N

So what am I supposed to say
My talent's an acquired taste
Well that's just what you say
When you've missed your train

No comments:

Post a Comment