Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week Eighteen: Synthpop - The Faint - "Worked Up So Sexual" - Blank-Wave Arcade

Back in 2000, when I still lived in Denton, my friend from high school, Stephanie, was part of a promotion team called Green Light Go.  She found out that I had joined a Synthpop band, and Green Light Go needed an opening act for a band that they had booked.  I was told that the band we would be opening for was called The Faint and that they were from Omaha, NE, but I knew nothing more than that.

She also gave me an address to the club where this event was going to take place.  I had never even heard of the streets that we had to take to get there, much less of the club - The Slaughterhouse.

So when we pulled up, we found out that it actually used to be a slaughterhouse.  The building still had power when some people from Green Light Go happened upon it one day, and they figured that it would be the perfect place to hold an event.  The trouble was that we would have to scatter quickly if the cops arrived.  Fortunately, that never happened that evening.

The sound was amazing in that old slaughterhouse.  The Faint decided to set up in a smaller room off to the side of where we played because they had a light show to go along with their tunes. 

This song was my introduction to The Faint, and I was blown away!!  The Faint went on to eventually open for No Doubt on one of their North American tours.  However, prior to hitting in big, they would stop by Denton quite frequently, usually playing at Rubber Gloves, and they would always seek out our band in the audience in order to say "hi" because they were all truly genuine and down-to-earth guys!!!

We went back to The Slaughterhouse a few days after the show to do some promo pics.  I have included one of my favorite pictures below.  It came out all blurry, so we titled it "Slaughterhouse Ghosts".  A few years ago, I snagged this picture off a website, that is sadly no longer in existence, that one of our supporters had set up for us.  Yes, my hair was dark purple, was chin length with bangs, and was slightly dreaded... I also had my nose and my lip pierced... such a little rebel...




I saw in the Dallas Observer that The Faint will be dropping by House of Blues on Tuesday, November 27th.  I might just have to go check them out for old time's sake...



I see you work at night, and are you sexually amused?
What's it like to have a room of guys encircling you?
How she moves and how she walks.
They all patiently await, while the heat from in their pockets could burn marks into their legs.
Without your needs and your support she'd have a job the same as ours - nothing daring.
Would she miss a job that sex- that sexual?

In every city there are dozens of these clubs where men can go.
Some people need a little challenge to their fantasies at home.
There's a little tiny number on a fold of matches,
The ink drips from a little dancer's pen.
Everybody wants that fold of matches to reinflate their confidence.
Hey, it is a job, it pays a lot.
Is it disservicing someone?
And is it good to get these men worked up so sex- so sexual?

Older dancers gag at what new talent seems to mean.
Smaller tits and younger limbs can cause a fit of rivalry.
But it is a job, it pays a lot.
Is it disservicing someone?
And is it good to get these men worked up so sex- so sexual?

No comments:

Post a Comment