Monday, September 17, 2012

Week Twenty: Wacky 80s - Book of Love - "Witchcraft" - Lullaby

Although I can assure you with 100% certainty that I never, ever dabbled in Witchcraft, I believe that many of my high school classmates might beg to differ with that statement. Of course, it didn't help that my hair was dyed blue-black; all of my clothing was black, and I carried around a black metal lunch box as a purse to match my black metal nail polish and black lipstick.  Random people would often come up to me and offer to pay me money to cast spells on others.  I would respond with some nonsensical statement regarding how I couldn't do it because all spells would come back to me three-fold or something ridiculous like that.  The even more ridiculous aspect is that they would believe me!!! 

I remember being sent to the vice-principal's office during registration.  I hadn't even started school yet, and I was already in trouble.  He told me that I would not attend his school, and I quote: "looking like death!"  My poor dad had to attend a conference that same day in order for me to be able to get a schedule, but once the vice-principal saw my grades and all of my academic achievements, he really cut me some slack.  The most gratifying feeling was graduating 6th out of my class of over 450 students, with a GPA well over 4.0 and proving to the faculty and staff that not everyone who chooses to look and act differently from what is considered the social norm is inherently evil or ignorant. I seriously had teachers come up and apologize to me for ever treating me poorly after the top ten graduates were announced.

I loved to drive around in my Hyundai Excel with my windows down and this song blasting... it was like my theme song.  Oddly, there are no decent videos on youtube to accompany the song.  There are some okay ones for the remix, but I am not as fond of the remix.

****UPDATE**** 09/25/2012 - Fun picture time... yearbook style!!  Do you see how I might have had a teensy bit of trouble fitting in (not that I truly ever cared)?!?!?!  Well, lookey there, I was actually wearing white that day...



I also just realized that there are more 7th grade mythology references in the lyrics. Circe and Scylla show up in the epic novel, The Adventures of Ulysses, that we read at the very end of the year.  It's just a scaled down, Roman version of The Odyssey.




I've tried and tried
to capture you
what more can one
mere mortal do?

My love potion
boils and bubbles
poison darts
red poison apples
kafe' kasita
non kafela
Gutrune takes Siegfried
from Brunhilde
enula compana
on St. James' eve
a dash of orange
and ambergis
incantate:
Miss Mary Mack
Mack Mack
all dressed in black

My love philtre
will entrance you
it will pomp and
circumstance you
anusin, atelin
amulet
Angelique takes Barnabas
from Josette
with spiders ten
frae lockens blue
eye of newt
will stew and brew
incantate
this magic spell
Miss Lucy's in heaven
and the steamboat's in hell

Enchantra Endora Tabitha
Esmerelda Clara Hagatha

My love potion
boils and bubbles
poof! goes all my
toil and troubles
blueberry wine
and gladiola
Circe takes Glaucus
away from Scylla
coriander, vervain
and ginger root
damiana, henbane
and badger's foot
incantation
with magic black
and silver buttons
all down her back

Enchantra Endora Tabitha
Esmerelda Clara Hagatha


No comments:

Post a Comment