Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week Eighteen: Synthpop - Iris - "Lose In Wanting" - Disconnect

After mentioning the TransCommunion Festival on Tuesday, I just realized that there were actually a lot of music festivals in the DFW area and all over Texas in 2000.  We were constantly travelling to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Tyler, and Fort Worth.  The promoters would typically group bands with the same sound at these festivals.  So we were often grouped with bands like The Confessionals, 99 Names of God, Solemn Assembly, Gropius, Destination Venus, and on occasion, Iris - because they were on a label - A Different Drum - so they did not play a ton of local festivals.

One of the members in our band was good friends with Reagan from Iris.  Reagan was a super nice guy, and I would run into him once in a blue moon at The Church at The Lizard Lounge.  I honestly lost touch with just about everyone who was part of the DFW Synthpop movement, but I have some incredibly, incredibly fond memories of those times!  All the bands in this genre were really nice and supportive of one another - like one big happy Synthpop family.  I'm not sure what the tone of attitude and behavior is for up-and-coming bands in the DFW area in 2012, but I would hope that anyone starting out is being treated in a decent manner.



In one flash, I am returned again
It's just something you can't see
The single thing I fear the most within
Gathers slowly up inside me
Ready to take me

I can feel it burning up inside my head
When I lose in wanting everything I said
Who will, there, be waiting as this
Silence followed
Leads me to its end

Every day, my only game to win
Brings a prize I can't defend
(Brings a prize I can't defend)
And in your place, no new instructions sent
Got no plans for where I'm going
No memory where I've been


No comments:

Post a Comment