Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Week Twenty-One: Wild Card Week - PJ Harvey - "Down By the Water" - To Bring You My Love



Week Twenty-One, aka Wild Card Week, will be full of random gems
-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-



I can't recall where or when I first heard this song, but I do remember a coworker at the Deli telling me, prior to hearing it, that I should check out PJ Harvey's work. He felt that I bore a striking resemblance to her, since I also sported dark hair and red, red lips, and he felt that I would also appreciate her music.

I never got around to checking out any of her tunes, as he suggested, but I guess she kind of found me as a result of releasing this song. I do remember that it was played on the radio quite frequently, and I remember seeing the equally intriguing video on MTV over at my friend Cecilia's house.

I ended up scoring a copy of this album on CD, and I put it on a mixed cassette so that I could listen to it in my car. After my younger brother's bike was stolen a second time from his elementary school, my parents paid me a small fee to pick my siblings up before I had to rush off to work.

I remember them hopping into my car and asking me if the “fishy” song had come on yet. They would squeal with delight every time they heard it. The three of us would be singing this song all the way home with the windows rolled down.

Those were really fun times with my younger siblings. I just wish I would have cherished them more, instead of viewing it as one more thing to do on my already insanely long list of things to do!!


I lost my heart, under the bridge
To that little girl, so much to me
And now I moan, and now I holler
She'll never know, just what I found

That blue eyed girl, she said "No more"
That blue eyed girl, became blue eyed whore
Down by the water, I took her hand
Just like my daughter, I'll see her again

Oh, help me, Jesus, come through the storm
I had to lose her, to do her harm
I heard her holler, I heard her moan
My lovely daughter, I took her home

Little fish, big fish, swimming in the water
Come back here, man, gimme my daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment