Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week Nineteen: Empire Records - Gin Blossoms - "Til I Hear It From You" - Empire Records Soundtrack

+++++++Spoiler Alert+++++++

I will be revealing what happens throughout the course of the film as I am simultaneously speaking about the soundtrack; so you might want to go watch it before reading these posts...

++++++++++++++++++


Empire Records was released in 1995, and my good friend, Cynthia, and I immediately headed over to the Inwood Theater, which was the only theater cool enough to show this Indie film at the time.

"Til I Hear It From You" is one of the first tracks, although not the very first, to appear in the film.  The video for this tune shows random film clips, which makes it the perfect introductory song for this week.

The first time you hear this song is when Gina goes to pick up Corey, who has stayed up all night making cupcakes to celebrate Rex Manning Day at the store, as well as her desire to lose her virginity to Mr. Manning.

The song appears again near the end of the film when A.J. and Corey reconcile while he is on the roof fixing the sign.  It's a sweet little tune, and it fits very nicely into the scenes for which it was chosen.

I doubt that I will ever revisit the Gin Blossoms again in any posts; therefore, I am including my favorite Gin Blossom's tune, "Hey Jealousy", below the lyrics.  I actually own it on cassette single!!



I didn't ask
They shouldn't have told me
At first I'd laugh, but now
It's sinking in fast
Whatever they've sold me
Well baby I don't want to take advice from fools
I'll just figure everything is cool
Until I hear it from you
It gets hard
The memory's faded
Who gets what they say
It's likely they're just jealous and jaded
Well maybe I don't want to take advice from fools
I'll just figure everything is cool
Until I hear it from you
Until I hear it from you
I can't let it get me off
Or break up my train of thought
As far as I know, nothing's wrong
Until I hear it from you
Still thinking about not living without it
Outside looking in
Til we're talking about it, not stepping around it
Maybe I don't want to take advice from fools
I'll just figure everything is cool
Until I hear it from you...




No comments:

Post a Comment