Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week Twenty-Two: Movie Melodies - New Order - "Ceremony" - Marie Antoinette Soundtrack


Although I was introduced to this song long before Sofia Coppola decided to release her film version of Marie Antoinette, I still could not have been more pleased to hear this song in the film, which is why I included a fan-made film clip video with an alternate version of this tune (a bit slower than the original).  I am also including the version from Substance below the lyrics.


I have been a devotee of New Order ever since I heard the song “Bizarre Love Triangle,” somewhere around 1988, and before anyone attempts to remind me that "Ceremony" was originally a Joy Division song, I will make it known now that I am already aware of that.  However, I have always been more inclined to like the New Order version.


I had always kind of skimmed over this song, for whatever reason, but after reading Deborah Curtis’s memoir, Touching From a Distance, I seemed to hear this song differently.  It quickly replaced “Bizarre Love Triangle” as my favorite New Order song and has maintained that position ever since.


This was yet another song that the band to which I belonged covered, but before selecting our official band name, we temporarily had another moniker; it was under this first band name that we would perform this song.  When we moved away from live drums to a drum machine, this song was left behind.  However, I loved playing the bass line to this song.


Although the life story of Ian Curtis was a tragic one, he left behind this jewel of a song, and I hope his tortured soul has found peaceful rest somewhere in the vast beyond.



This is why events unnerve me
They find it all, a different story
Notice whom for wheels are turning
Turn again and turn towards this time
All she ask's the strength to hold me
Then again the same old story
Word will travel, oh so quickly
Travel first and lean towards this time

Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Watching her, these things she said
The times she cried
Too frail to wake this time

Oh I'll break them down, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time
Avenues all lined with trees
Picture me and then you start watching
Watching forever, forever

Watching love grow, forever
Letting me know, forever




No comments:

Post a Comment