Thursday, September 27, 2012

Week Twenty-One: Wild Card Week - The Charlatans - "The Only One I Know" - Some Friendly



Week Twenty-One, aka Wild Card Week, will be full of random gems
-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-


Any time I hear any Charlatans' song, it reminds me of one place – Hairy's Rock Shop. Hairy's is/was located at Ferguson Road & Lakeland Drive in Dallas. The reason I say “is/was” is because when I drive by it, to this day, the sign is still there, but it doesn't look very open; however, the advertising hearse is still parked out front. So who knows?

It's difficult to describe exactly what Hairy's even was back in the early 90's. When I used to go there, it was a complete hodge-podge of styles – hippie-chick meets metal-head meets alterna-teen meets new-waver meets indie-bopper. For me, it was a place to find inexpensive cassettes and to purchase Clove Xtra cigarettes without presenting an ID when I was 16-years-old.

The guys who worked there also lived there, somewhere in the back. If they thought you were cute and determined that you weren't going to rat them out for selling to those underage, they would not hassle you one bit. Either that or they were too stoned to remember that the law required them to check IDs for cigarette purchases.

One day when I stopped by for my usual two packs of Clove Xtras, I saw it just hanging there - so out of place – a Charlatans' t-shirt. It was perfect because it said “Weirdo” on the back to promote their other well-known hit (included below), but the description could not have been more fitting for someone like me at the time!


The only one I know, has come to take me away
The only one I know, is mine when she stitches me
The only one I see, has found an aching in me
The only one I see, has turned her tongue into me

Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows the pain

The only one I know, never cries, never open her eyes
The only one I know, wide awake and then she's away
The only one I see, is mine when she walks down our street
The only one I see, has carved her way in to me

Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows the pain
Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows the pain

Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows the pain
Everyone has been burned before, everybody knows the pain


No comments:

Post a Comment