Saturday, September 22, 2012

Week Twenty-One: Wild Card Week - The Mock Turtles - "Can You Dig It?" - Turtle Soup


Week Twenty-One, aka Wild Card Week, will be full of random gems
-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-\-/-


This little gem was introduced to me in the early 90’s on what I had originally thought was an obscure alternative show called “The Adventure Club with Josh and Alex,” which appeared on The EDGE; its radio frequency at that time was 94.5, not 102.1, as it is today.  However, after being directed to Jeff K's website to check out some of his EDGE Club playlists, I realized that it might have actually been Jeff K who introduced me to this tune and many, many of the tunes that I have mentioned in previous posts and credited to Josh, Alex, or George Gimarc.  My apologies to Jeff K for not initially realizing what an integral part he played in my musical development.  How could I have forgotten "Chef K" and all those "Flashback Cafe" broadcasts I spent with him over the years?!?!?!

In fact, I vividly remember that on the day I got sent home while trying to register for school --- see the Book of Love - "Witchcraft" post from last week --- I went straight home and called up and requested "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" on the "Flashback Cafe". Josh was interning with Jeff K at that time and starting freaking out that someone was requesting The Smiths.  So Jeff K put Josh on the phone, and we chatted for a bit that day.  Jeff K was kind enough to play my request, as well, after I explained to him the tragedy that I had endured at registration!!!

When I first started listening to The EDGE back in the early 90s, I would tune in on my purple Sharp boombox (similar version pictured below) because it was the only radio in the entire house that would pick up the broadcast - not even our fancy schmancy stereo system would clearly pick up the low frequency.  Plus, I needed to be able to record all the awesome tunes they were playing.  I was in the 7th grade at the time, and I thought I was such hot stuff since I was not listening to the “mainstream nonsense” that my mindless classmates seemed to be enjoying.


“Can You Dig It?” is not one of those tunes you can easily chat about with most people, simply because most have never heard it or don't recognize it by name; however, once it’s been played for them, they usually beg for a copy.

I'm including the Steve Proctor remix below the lyrics, in honor of Jeff K, because that was probably the first version I ever heard on EDGE Club, but I'm honestly more fond of the original version. 







Can you understand me now
I'll get through somehow
You won't ever get me down
Won't see me hanging around

Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it what I'm saying
One little kiss isn't anything
I won't be sad

Someone turned a light on

See how big and strong I've grown
I'm standing on my own

Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it what I'm saying
One little kiss isn't anything
You keep insisting on everything
I won't be sad

Someone turned a light on

Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it, oh yeah
Can you dig it what I'm saying
One little kiss isn't anything
You keep insisting on everything
I won't be sad

Someone turned a light on

Can you dig it
Can you dig it
Can you dig it
Can you dig it 




No comments:

Post a Comment