Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week Twenty-Two: Movie Melodies - Jimmy Soul - "If You Wanna Be Happy" - Mermaids Soundtrack


The summer before I began seventh grade, the film, Mermaids, hit the theaters. I was a huge Winona Ryder fan, and my mom liked Cher; so we were both giddy with anticipation when we saw the previews, and we headed straight to the theater to satisfy our curiosity in regards to how Winona and Cher would deliver in their roles, especially since we heard that they got along like two peas in a pod during filming. Neither of us was disappointed!

From the humorous references to Catholicism, to the overbearing (yet emotionally unavailable) mother, to the hot guy that Charlotte falls for, there was so much to which I could relate.

I always read the book before viewing a film, and according to notes that I kept in the inside cover (a weird habit I picked up from my grandmother), I read Mermaids on January 18, 1988, and again on February 8, 1988, and one more time on December 15, 1998. I wish I still had ample time to read – well, material other than junior high literature, law books, or state legislative codes, at least.

This particular song concludes the film and leaves one with a desire to hop and bop around with the ladies in the kitchen – such a feel good tune about such a not-so-nice topic (if you really think about what it is saying...)


If you wanna be happy 
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view, 
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall.
As soon as he marries her 
Then she starts to do
The things that will break his heart.
But if you make an ugly woman your wife,
You'll be happy for the rest of your life,
An ugly woman cooks her meals on time,
She'll always give you peace of mind.

Don't let your friends say 
You have no taste,
Go ahead and marry anyway,
Though her face is ugly, 
Her eyes don't match,
Take it from me she's a better catch.

Say man. 
Hey baby. 
Saw your wife the other day. 
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly. 
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook. 
Yeah? Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment