Monday, October 15, 2012

Week Twenty-Four: First Concert Ever - The Bangles - "Manic Monday" - Different Light


Week Twenty-Four marks the 24th anniversary of the first concert that I ever attended on October 14, 1988, at Texas Stadium in Irving, TX - The Bangles & George Michael -



@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@


I know, I know, it's somewhat cheesy to post about the song "Manic Monday" on none other than a Monday, but c'mon, you should have come to expect that from me by now.

What is incredibly humorous about this tune is that when it came out, I was maybe 8 or 9-years-old, but I somehow completely related to it.  I would passionately sing along with Susanna about kissing Valentino and not being late and getting paid and bosses and catching trains and lovers and figuring out what to wear (um, I went to Catholic school - I knew what I was wearing every day!!!)

I loved this song, and I know I drove my parents crazy with this one because I would force them to watch "talent shows" performed with my friends in our living room to this song, using twirling batons as microphones.  My folks were awesome sports about it, but my dad had the television cleverly angled so that he could still see his programs out of the corner of his eye!!!




Six o'clock already
I was just in the middle of a dream
I was kissin' Valentino
By a crystal blue Italian stream
But I can't be late
'Cause then I guess I just won't get paid
These are the days 
When you wish your bed was already made 


It's just another manic Monday 
Wish it were a Sunday 
'Cause that's my funday 
My I don't have to runday 
It's just another manic Monday 

Have to catch an early train 
Got to be to work by nine 
And if I had an air-o-plane 
I still couldn't make it on time 
'Cause it takes me so long 
Just to figure out what I'm gonna wear 
Blame it on the train 
But the boss is already there 

Of all my nights 
Why did my lover have to pick last night 
To get down 
Doesn't it matter 
That I have to feed the both of us 
Employment's down 
He tells me in his bedroom voice 
C'mon honey, let's go make some noise 
Time it goes so fast 
When you're having fun 

No comments:

Post a Comment