Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Week Twenty- Five: Pagan Rhythms/Cassingles - Toad the Wet Sprocket - "All I Want" - Single


Week Twenty-Five belongs to a super-cool vinyl/CD/cassette tape shop that was near the intersection of Lovers Lane & Greenville Avenue in Dallas, TX - called Pagan Rhythms - and their massive selection of used cassingles...

**The photos included in this week's posts are actual images of my cassingles**

:-)  <3  :-)  <3  :-)  (-:  <3  (-:  <3  (-:


Toad the Wet Sprocket is such an odd name for such a seemingly "normal" band. Therefore, curiosity got the best of me, and I had to look up the name origin. Apparently, it is from a Monty Python sketch, and the story goes a little something like this:

Eric Idle, the sketch's original performer, reflected on the band's name in a 1999 performance:
I once wrote a sketch about rock musicians and I was trying to think of a name that would be so silly nobody would ever use it, or dream it could ever be used. So I wrote the words "Toad the Wet Sprocket". And a few years later, I was driving along the freeway in L.A., and a song came on the radio, and the DJ said, "that was by Toad the Wet Sprocket", and I nearly drove off the freeway.


I never really got into this band much more than this song and one of their other hits, "Good Intentions," which I have included below the lyrics.  Both are super-cool tunes, however, and I am happy to be the proud cassingle owner of "All I Want".






nothing's so loud
as hearing when we lie
the truth is not kind
and you've said neither am I
and the air outside so soft is saying everything
everything

all I want is to feel this way
to be this close, to feel the same
all I want is to feel this way
the evening speaks, I feel it say...

nothing's so cold
as closing the heart when all we need
is to free the soul
but we wouldn't be that brave I know
and the air outside so soft, confessing everything
everything

and it won't matter now
whatever happens will be
though the air speaks of all we'll never be
it won't trouble me

and it feels so close
let it take me in
let it hold me so
I can feel it say...


No comments:

Post a Comment