Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week Twenty-Five: Pagan Rhythms/Cassingles - Pet Shop Boys - "Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)" - Single

Week Twenty-Five belongs to a super-cool vinyl/CD/cassette tape shop that was near the intersection of Lovers Lane & Greenville Avenue in Dallas, TX - called Pagan Rhythms - and their massive selection of used cassingles...

**The photos included in this week's posts are actual images of my cassingles**

:-)  <3  :-)  <3  :-)  (-:  <3  (-:  <3  (-:


Quick survey: raise your hand if you were part of the generation who grew up with the cassingle...

“What is a cassingle?” some of you may be asking. Well, let me tell you. It was the perfect solution for a pre-teen, like me at that time, whose income consisted of a meager allowance and sporadic babysitting jobs. Cassingles allowed you to own your favorite tunes for anywhere from $.99 to $1.99 (depending on the popularity of the song) without having to commit to the entire album. (Oh, and blogland, if you raised your hand, you can put it down now. I can't even see you, remember?)

So, when this song began its rotation on the radio stations back in 1991, I quickly snatched up the cassingle. Actually, as most of you Pet Shop Boys' fans already know, this track did not make it onto the album, Behaviour, so the only way to even own it, at that time, was to purchase the single.

Of course, it would also be appropriate to mention that this is a “mash-up” of U2's “Where the Streets Have No Name” and Frankie Valli's “Can't Take My Eyes Off You”. According to the Pet Shop Boys Wiki, there is a rumor that when Bono heard this release, he asked, “What Have [We] Done to Deserve This?”  Whether it be true or not, that is incredibly clever and made me giggle.










I want to run, I want to hide 
I want to break down the walls that hold me inside 
I want to reach out, and touch the flame 
Where the streets have no name 

I want to feel the sun on my face 
I see the dust cloud disappear without a trace 
I want to take shelter from poison rain 
Where the streets have no name 

Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name 
We're still building, then burning down love 
Burning down love 

And when I go there, I go there with you 
Where the streets have no name 
Can't take my eyes off of you 

I love you baby, and if it's quite alright 
I need you baby, to warm a lonely night 
So let me love you baby 
Let me love you 

The city's a flood, our love turns to rust 
We're beaten and blown by the wind, trampled in dust 
I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain 
Where the streets have no name 

Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name 
We're still building, then burning down love 
Burning down love 

And when I go there it's all I can do 
Where the streets have no name 
I can't take my eyes off of you 

Love you, baby, let me love you 
Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name 
Where the streets have no name








No comments:

Post a Comment