Friday, July 27, 2012

Week Twelve: Amy Winehouse - "Back to Black" - Back to Black

What?!?!?!  No "Rehab"?!?!?!  Well, my dear blogland readers, I chose not to talk about Amy's song, "Rehab", in depth during Amy week, on purpose, because I feel that "Rehab" has been torn apart and reconstructed from every angle, as well as has been used to attack Amy and her family relentlessly; therefore, anything you want to know about the song, "Rehab", is just a mouse click and a few keying entries away.

Instead, I chose to have "Back to Black" close out Amy week.  Wow, and this video gives me the heebee-geebees, in a way, because it so eerily predicted her fate in the form of burying a tiny box, albeit symbolic of a dead relationship in this video.  If you don't already know, Amy was cremated as part of her funeral ceremony.  Mitch noted in the biography that although cremation is not typically done in most Jewish ceremonies, Amy's grandmother was cremated, and he felt that Amy would want to go in the same form and fashion.

Amy's handlers/bodyguards were photographed with her ashes one last time.  Although her box of ashes is not black, as was the one in the video, she still ended up in a tiny box, with a whole slew of individuals mourning over her passing.




I have already mentioned in a previous post - I believe it was "Thieves" by She & Him - how much of a fan I am of black and white concepts in films and videos.  I think it adds such an element of grace and beauty to this video.  Mitch recalled that during the filming of the video, it was so cold, and Amy called and begged him to bring her the jacket that you see her wearing. 

Additionally, I love the beats in the song.  This was finally the song that sold me on Amy.  She was just a bit too "rough around the edges" for me when she was first introduced in the States, but little by little, as I began to learn more and more about her, I began to appreciate her and her struggles in a way in which I have never connected with an artist so personally in the past.  I said it before, and I'll say it again: I actually shed tears on July 23, 2011, when I heard that Amy was dead.  I was even feeling a bit glum this past Monday, on the anniversary of her passing.  RIP, dear sweet, Amy!!!  You are greatly missed by many!!!! <3


He left no time to regret, kept his dick wet
With his same old safe bet
Me and my head high and my tears dry
Get on without my guy

You went back to what you knew so far removed
From all that we went through
And I tread a troubled track, my odds are stacked
I'll go back to black

We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
And I go back to, I go back to us

I love you much, it's not enough
You love blow and I love puff
And life is like a pipe
And I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside

We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
When I go back to

We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
And I go back to

Black, black, black, black
Black, black, black
I go back to
I go back to

We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
And I go back to

We only said goodbye with words
I died a hundred times
You go back to her
And I go back to black

No comments:

Post a Comment