Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Week Nine: The Psychedelic Furs - "Heaven" - Greatest Hits

First of all, I had no idea that so many bands covered this song.  When I was looking on youtube for the video, I saw covers ranging from 90s techno group Sunscreem to punk bands like Face to Face and Alkaline Trio to alternative rock favorites Buffalo Tom.  Even Annie Lennox covered the song!

Alas, no one gave it the same level of glory as Richard Butler, although I must admit that Alkaline Trio came pretty darn close.  Regardless, there is just something so magical and intriguing about Butler's voice.  Again, it also amazes me how true he stays to his performances because every time I have seen this played live, he throws his arms in the air on the "heaven" part and counts the 1, 2, 3, on his fingers while looking at his watch during the "counts my time" part. 

I don't know why that means so much to me, exactly, because some people would probably tire of watching him do those things.  Maybe it's the level of dedication to his songs.  Some artists are so obviously sick of singing the same tunes over and over for 20+ years, and it is evident in their performances.  However, I have never picked up on that feeling from Mr. Butler, and I appreciate it more than he will probably ever know!!




(CHORUS)
Heaven - is the whole of the heart
and heaven - don't tear you apart
yeah heaven - is the whole of the heart
and heaven - don't tear you apart
There's too many kings
wanna hold you down
and a world at the window gone underground
There's a hole in the sky
where the sun don't shine
and clock on the wall
and it counts my time
(CHORUS)
There's a song on the air
with a love-you line
and a face in the glass
and it looks like mine
and I'm standing on ice when I say
that I don't hear planes
and I scream at the fools
wanna jump my train
(CHORUS)

No comments:

Post a Comment