Monday, July 16, 2012

Week Eleven: Elvis Presley - "Love Me Tender" - Elvis Presley: History Disc One

After my grandfather passed away in 2000, I tried to visit my grandmother as much as I possibly could - despite the 2 hour drive there and 2 hour drive back.  One evening, we were sitting at her kitchen table watching the birds play around the birdfeeder, one of her favorite activities to pass the time, when I asked her if she would like to listen to some Elvis tunes with me.

She said that she would give it a go, but she also said that she hadn't really listened to any music since my grandfather's passing.  It all started out well, with a few of the faster and more upbeat songs, to which we hummed and sang along.

But boy, oh boy, when she heard the first few lyrics of "Love Me Tender", she started tearing up.  Then by the middle of the song, the waterworks were spilling uncontrollably.

I was already halfway to the CD player to turn it off by the time she blurted out, "Honey, I love Elvis, but right now, he's making me cry..."  I never asked my grandmother to listen to Elvis with me again after that evening because I knew it was just too difficult for her.  She attached events and people to music and songs, exactly the way I do.

However, every Christmas and birthday, without fail, I continued to give my grandmother some type of Elvis memorabilia.  It should not surprise you much when I tell you that all of that Elvis memorabilia is now safely in my possession.

I absolutely adore shuffling through all of my grandmother's photos, but my favorite photo of my grandparents was taken in 1946, when my grandmother was 13-years-old and my grandfather was 24-years-old.  They were at a carnival, and they look like they are so much in love.  She just looks like an Elvis fan in the making, since Elvis did not hit the scene until about 10 years later:





Love me tender,
love me sweet,
never let me go.
You have made my life complete,
and I love you so.

Love me tender,
love me true,
all my dreams fulfilled.
For my darling I love you,
and I always will.

Love me tender,
love me long,
take me to your heart.
For it's there that I belong,
and we'll never part.

Love me tender,
love me true,
all my dreams fulfilled.
For my darling,
I love you,
and I always will.


Love me tender,
love me dear,
tell me you are mine.
I'll be yours through all the years,
till the end of time.

Love me tender,
love me true,
all my dreams fulfilled.
For my darling I love you,
and I always will.

1 comment: