Saturday, July 14, 2012

Week Eleven: Elvis Presley - "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame" - Elvis 30 #1 Hits

The number eleven reminded me of Elvis, for some reason, and so begins week eleven...

After my paternal grandmother passed away and we found ourselves on the tail end of the Grieving Process, my father, as the sole heir of my grandparents' possessions, invited us grandchildren to rummage through their treasures and to take whatever valuables we desired.  Upon receiving this invitation, I headed straight to the music corner and was met with one of the largest Elvis Presley collections that I ever laid eyes on.

My grandmother had always complained about how the phone solicitors from Time Life were constantly pestering her about purchasing items from their company.  She insisted that she would always refuse their sales pitches, and she included that she would tell them what dirty, rotten scoundrels they were for trying to take advantage of a poor, old woman.

Apparently, one of these phone solicitors called one day and uttered the magic words: Elvis Presley.  My grandmother possessed so many Elvis compilations that it left my head spinning: Elvis Sings the Blues, Elvis Sings Gospel, Elvis Sings Christmas, Elvis Sings Country, Elvis Sings Soul, Elvis Sings Love Songs, Elvis Sings Rock 'N Roll... you name it, and it appears that Elvis sang it!!!

I am fairly certain that it did not take much arm-twisting to get my grandmother to offer up her credit card information for these purchases!  Regardless, they turned into such a treat for me because I had heard many of the Elvis hits, but I had never heard this song, other than in The Smiths medley from Rank, which I have also included in a youtube clip for you below...




A very old friend came by today
'Cause he was telling everyone in town
About the love that he just found
And Marie's the name of his latest flame

He talked and talked and I heard him say
That she had the longest blackest hair
The prettiest green eyes anywhere
And Marie's the name of his latest flame

Though I smiled the tears inside were a-burning
I wished him luck and then he said goodbye
He was gone but still his words kept returning
What else was there for me to do but cry

Would you believe that yesterday
This girl was in my arms and swore to me
She'd be mine eternally
And Marie's the name of his latest flame





No comments:

Post a Comment