Monday, July 2, 2012

Week Nine: The Psychedelic Furs - "The Ghost in You" - Greatest Hits

If you have ever had the pleasure of seeing The Psychedelic Furs in concert, one thing that you already know about Richard Butler is that the man is a phenomenal performer.  Not only does he draw you into every single solitary lyric of his, but he also has the most relevant hand motions to go along with the words.

Case in point, every time I have seen him perform this song, he does the ticking clock motion with his arm when he sings about "the time moves".  He also does that really smooth flick of the wrist move that is just amazingly cool but would probably look foolish if anyone else tried it.

He has also aged very gracefully, and I love the fact that he wears his wedding ring so prominently displayed as he is crooning into the microphone.  It conjures up a great deal of respect in my eyes.  I don't even know if he is married, or not, but it still conveys a message, to me, of being committed to someone or something.  At one show, he even mentioned his child- although I think it was to berate the American school system and to reinforce how happy he was that his child did not have to be a part of it.  Nonetheless, he still mentioned his child.

I could not find an official video for this tune, but I was able to locate this live performance where you can see the ticking clock and flicking wrist moves...



A man in my shoes runs a light
and all the papers lied tonight
but falling over you
is the news of the day
Angels fall like rain
And love - is all of heaven away
(CHORUS)
Inside you the times moves
and she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade
Inside you the time moves
and she don't fade
A race is on
I'm on your side
And here in you
my engines die
I'm in a mood for you
Or running away
Stars come down in you
and love - you can't give it away
(CHORUS)
Don't you go
it makes no sense
when all your talk
and supermen
just take away the time
and get in the way
Ain't it just like rain
And love - is only heaven away
(CHORUS)


No comments:

Post a Comment