Saturday, July 7, 2012

Week Ten: Depeche Mode - "But Not Tonight" - Black Celebration

With Depeche Mode's vast catalogue of material, I feel that it would be a complete injustice to them if I focused on their biggest hits.  Therefore, I am going to touch upon some of the more obscure material and B-sides.  Maybe later down the line, I will revisit DM and their more popular tunes, but for now, I am going to stick with my above-mentioned plan.

Many, many moons ago, when I was finally able to free myself from the relationship with my abusive ex, I did not come out with much, primarily because he destroyed almost all of my possessions prior to threatening my life and then walking out forever.  All of my friends and family were so peeved at him for annihilating just about everything I owned, but in the process, he taught me one of the greatest lessons that I have ever learned: Stuff is just stuff, and no matter how important you think it is, you can go on without it. 

Oddly enough, one little treasure that I managed to walk away with was his copy of the film, Modern Girls, on VHS - I have no clue how that could have even happened.  Regardless, this lovable little Depeche Mode tune, much like the lovable little characters of Cliffy, Bruno X, Cece, Kelly, and Margo, can be found in this film.

When I was coming up with a decorating scheme for my last apartment, I had just watched the film for the umpteenth time, and I became fixated on Kelly's red lips phone.  I found the same phone for around $15.00 on eBay direct from Hong Kong, and thus began my Modern Girls/French-themed decorating scheme.  When I moved into my current duplex, I decided against a land line; so my red lips phone is tucked away in storage, but I cannot see that phone or hear this song without thinking fondly of Modern Girls.


Oh God, it's raining but I'm not complaining
It's filling me up with new life
The stars in the sky bring tears to my eyes
They're lighting my way tonight

And I haven't felt so alive
In years

Just for a day on a day like today
I'll get away from this constant debauchery
The wind in my hair makes me so aware
How good it is to live tonight

And I haven't felt so alive
In years

The moon is shining in the sky
Reminding me of so many other nights
But they're not like tonight

Oh God, it's raining and I'm not containing
My pleasure at being so wet
Here on my own, all on my own
How good it feels to be alone tonight

And I haven't felt so alive
In years

The moon is shining in the sky
Reminding me of so many other nights
When my eyes have been so red
I've been mistaken for dead
But not tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment