Monday, July 30, 2012

Week Thirteen: Obscure 80s - B-Movie - "Nowhere Girl" - Just Say Yesterday (Compilation)

I just happened upon this little gem of a song.  I bought this particular compilation because I wanted to get my hands on a copy of “Warm Leatherette” by The Normal.  So after I listened to that tune a few hundred times, I finally decided to give the entire CD a listen.  As soon as the lengthy intro (not present in the video clip) kicked in, I became entranced by this song, and it, too, went on repeat about a hundred times.  I did eventually make it through the entire CD.
My band actually did a cover of this song, at my humble request, and it was always a big hit when we played it live.  It was super-simple to play on bass.  I don’t know what it is about this song, but it just always seems to tug at my heartstrings.  I think maybe it could be that I have felt like a “Nowhere Girl” many times in my life, especially around the time I first heard this tune!



Nowhere girl, you're living in a dream
Nowhere girl, you stay behind the scenes
Nowhere girl, you never go outside
Nowhere girl, because you prefer to hide

Every day, every night
In that old familiar light
You hung up when I called you at home

And I try to get through
And I try to talk to you
But there's something stopping me
From getting through

Nowhere girl, what you have you need
Nowhere girl, all functional and neat
Nowhere girl, in self-imposed exile
Nowhere girl, a martyr like denial

Every day, every night
In that old familiar light
You hung up when I called you at home
And I try to get through
And I try to talk to you
But there's something stopping me

No comments:

Post a Comment