Saturday, July 28, 2012

Week Thirteen: Obscure 80s - Peter Godwin - "Images of Heaven" - Images of Heaven

Since my last two weeks of posts have been a bit on the sullen side, I decided to move to a more upbeat genre and hopefully introduce (or re-introduce) some of my favorite obscure 80s tunes...

DJ Joe Virus from The Church (at the Lizard Lounge) was the person whom I believe introduced me to this song (*note: this was typically played towards the very, very end of the night*). The reason I say this is because I remember this very tall African-American girl who would show up at the various “gothic-related” events around town and dress in belly dancer-type garb with the gold clangy chains around her waist and wrists and head and such. This was definitely “her song”. She commanded the dance floor and everyone's attention when this song was played.

I may have heard it at Red Square Retro (at The Red Jacket) or Retrocadia or Numbers (in Houston) prior, but even if I did, I can honestly say that it did not stick with me until I saw her gyrate around the room to this song.

Most people call this an 80's one-hit-wonder, and while I would have to agree with them, I would also add that I would listen to this 80's one-hit-wonder any day over the nonsense that is being marketed and sold to the kiddies today!

There is not an official video for this song, but here is a super-cool fashion video created by someone on youtube:


nothing is sacred - so give me your soul my love
nothing is wasted on someone like you
somebody killed me - they tore out my heart my love
somebody filled me with photos of you
and there’s nothing I can do - the media made you
there’s nothing I can do - cause you don’t exist - you don’t exist
just images of heaven that take me to hell
images of heaven - or something for sale
oh images of heaven - images of heaven

something possessed me - an image of you my love
video visions that play on my mind
nobody blessed me with power to reach my love
one cheap illusion can still be divine
and nobody believes in this new religion
yes nobody believes - cause nobody sees-nobody sees
these images of heaven that take me to hell
images of heaven - or something for sale
oh images of heaven - images of heaven

and there’s nothing I can do - the camera made you
there’s nothing I can do - cause you don’t exist - you don’t exist
just images of heaven that take me to hell
images of heaven - or something for sale
oh images of heaven - images of heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment