Friday, November 9, 2012

Week Twenty-Seven: Twenty Years of Moz - Morrissey - "Jack the Ripper" - Beethoven Was Deaf

Week Twenty-Seven marks the 20th anniversary of my very first Morrissey concert that took place on November 4, 1992, at Reunion Arena, on his Your Arsenal tour


[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]


There are so few occasions where I can honestly say that I prefer a live version of a song over a studio version, but this is definitely one of them!

There is so much speculation as to the meaning of this song. Some people swear that it is Morrissey's interpretation of what Jack the Ripper might have been feeling in relation to his victims prior to murdering them. Others say that it is Morrissey's attempt to reconcile his homosexual feelings in regards to working-class men.

I honestly don't know which theory holds the greatest truth, and I doubt that Morrissey would ever confirm one or the other. What I do know is that this is a breathtakingly gorgeous song, and whatever meaning it actually does hold, Morrissey sings it with such passion that it gives me chills down the spine sometimes.


If you're interested in hearing the studio version, it can be found on the "Certain People I Know" single. I'm going to provide you with a scan of the inside cover of that one because I just realized that I didn't make much mention of Morrissey's fabulous band members during the course of this week, and the inside cover has them pictured there:


And I have to include the cover of Beethoven Was Deaf because it's such a darn cute picture:






Oh, you look so tired 
Mouth slack and wide 
Ill-housed and ill-advised 
Your face is as mean 
As your life has been 

Crash into my arms 
I WANT YOU 
You don't agree -
But you don't refuse 
I know you 

And I know a place 
Where no one is likely to pass 
Oh, you don't care if it's late 
And you don't care if you're lost 
And oh, you look so tired 
(But tonight you presume too much) 
Too much, too much 
And if it's the last 
Thing I ever do 
I'M GONNA GET YOU 

Crash into my arms 
I WANT YOU 
You don't agree -
But you don't refuse 
I know you 

Crash into my arms 
I WANT YOU 
You don't agree - 
But you don't refuse 
I know you 
Oh ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment