Monday, November 5, 2012

Week Twenty-Seven: Twenty Years of Moz - Morrissey - "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" - You are the Quarry

Week Twenty-Seven marks the 20th anniversary of my very first Morrissey concert that took place on November 4, 1992, at Reunion Arena, on his Your Arsenal tour


[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]


For most of my existence, I have had an incredibly challenging time connecting with others. I simply don't have that inherent gene that makes me feel compelled to socialize or to be a part of the crowd. I have always felt more comfortable as an introvert and a silent observer, and I love spending vast amounts of time alone. I am also not impressed by the latest & greatest - whatever society deems that to be at any given moment.

I do not have access to television programming. I still watch some of my films on VHS. I don't have a Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter - or a need to be connected 24/7. I couldn't care less if my internet connection fails and is down for days --- unless I have an online assignment due. About as high tech as I get is this here blog, and it is really just a method for me to reconcile my thoughts and my development in relation to my greatest love - music - and to hold you all a captive audience for whatever length of time it takes you to read/skim these posts!!! :-D

So... does that make me a "crashing bore" because I love books (like the kind where you have to hold them in your hands and turn the pages - not a Kindle, my dears), dictionaries, & my local library... well-researched documentaries, law (which, even according to Morrissey, is where educated criminals & people who want to hurt you work), term papers, & college courses... music & musicals... theater & dance... the zoo, the aquarium, roller skating, bike riding, art/history/science museums, & coffee shops... going to bed at a reasonable time so that I can wake up around 5:00 am before most of my part of the world is even awake... and above all, my own well-developed imagination? Who knows, & who cares!!!

I hate to admit it, but most people come across to me as "crashing bores", as I'm sure that I do to them as well. It's nothing new; it's been that way for most of my life. Please do not misunderstand me... I am not insinuating that I am somehow "better" than others. I suppose that what I am saying is that finding people with similar interests is damn near impossible, especially at this point in my life. Most people in my current developmental phase are raising families and maintaining marriages amidst the challenges and demands of this very family life that they desired. 

Having my own family was nothing that I ever longed for --- and believe me, teaching junior high for nine years is the BEST form of birth control ever! If you're tossing around the idea of having babies, come spend a day with me in my classroom and see what it might be like for you in about 12 to 13 years - for the most part, they're not pleasant!!!

I have become an expert at feigning interest in others when the occasion calls for it. However, the loveliest part of being an adult is that I get to choose with whom I want to spend my time - even if it is just my own self. This often leads people to mistake me for being stuck-up, snobbish, difficult, or whatever other colorful and descriptive words they select. Again, I would have to most likely value peoples' opinions for that to matter, and I guess that is another one of the many reasons that I adore Morrissey... because I "get" him and what some have deemed his "obnoxious" nature!!





You must be wondering how the boy next door turned out
Have a care but don't stare because he's still there

Lamenting policewomen, policemen
Silly women, tax men, uniformed whores
They who wish to hurt you work within the law

This world is full, so full of crashing bores
And I must be one 'cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, take me in your arms and love me

You must be wondering how the boy next door turned out
Have a care and say a prayer because he's still there

Lamenting policewomen, policemen
Silly women, tax men, uniformed whores
Educated criminals work within the law

This world is full, so full of crashing bores
And I must be one 'cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, take me in your arms and love me, and love me

What really lies beyond the constraints of my mind
Could it be the sea with fate mooning back at me

No, it's just more lock jawed, pop stars
Thicker than pig shit, nothing to convey
They're so scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career

This world, I am afraid, is designed for crashing bores
I am not one, I am not one you don't understand
You don't understand and yet you can
Take me in your arms and love me, love me and love me

Take me in your arms and love me, love me, love me
Take me in your arms and love me
Take me in your arms and love me
Would you do, would you do, what you should do


No comments:

Post a Comment