Saturday, November 10, 2012

Week Twenty-Eight: New Romantic - A Flock of Seagulls - "Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)" - The Best Of A Flock of Seagulls

From Wikipedia: New Romanticism (also called blitz kids and a variety of other names) was a pop culture movement in the United Kingdom that began around 1979 and peaked around 1981. Developing in London nightclubs such as Billy's and The Blitz and spreading to other major cities in the UK, it was based around flamboyant, eccentric fashion and New Wave music.

@>--- @>--- @>--- ---<@ ---<@ ---<@


Back in the mid-90s, A Flock of Seagulls and Missing Persons stopped by a nightclub in Dallas called Eden 2000 for a feeble attempt at a reunion show. My friend, Cecilia, and I were both in possession of the recently-expired ID's of upperclass(wo)men from our respective schools. As a result, she went by the name of Pia that night, and I went by the name of Candice. We both bore a striking resemblance to these individuals, and since each ID was, as I previously mentioned, just newly-expired, the doorman didn't even blink an eye – primarily because we wouldn't be able to drink anyways, and we would be required to display the huge Marks-a-lot “X” on each hand that notified the bartender of such information.

A Flock of Seagulls opened for Missing Persons, and at some point during the performance, one of their roadies came over to invite us to the downtown hotel, where the guys were staying, for an after-party. Now, the guys in A Flock of Seagulls were not even really attractive in their hey-day, as far as I was concerned, and they were definitely nothing special to look at in 1995. We weren't even really polite while declining the offer. We laughed and shook our heads - “No, thanks!”

The only redeeming part of the entire evening was seeing that Dale Bozzio from Missing Persons had aged quite gracefully. Other than that, it was quite the wasted night, but I still enjoyed hearing all of the songs played live.  I am also including my other favorite, "Space Age Love Song," below the lyrics:





It's not the way you look,
It's not the way that you smile.
Although there's something to them.
It's not the way you have your hair,
It's not that certain style;
It could be that with you.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.

It's not the make-up
And it's not the way that you dance,
It's not the evening sky.
It's more the way your eyes
are laughing as they glance
Across the great divide.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.

It's not the things you say
It's not the things you do
It must be something more
And if I feel this way for so long
Tell me is it all for nothing
Just don't walk out the door.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing.






No comments:

Post a Comment