Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Week Thirty: iPod Picks - Buzzcocks - "Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)" - Love Bites

For Week Thirty, I'm turning my iPod loose (in the form of putting it on shuffle) and letting it do the picking... so the seven songs for this week were chosen by my trusty little iPod who is now holding close to 5000 of my favorite songs and who is slowly but surely dying battery-wise; however, I am too attached to do an upgrade just yet...



[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]


Before my senior year of high school, I saved all of my money from “the deli” and sent myself to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. I had three primary goals for my trip: (a) to purchase a pair of Docs from the Doc Marten Factory; (b) to acquire as much music memorabilia as my budget would allow; (c) to drink as much ale as I could get my grubby little seventeen-year-old hands on. I accomplished all three of my tasks and even managed to fall in love with a Scottish lad while there – well, it was more like drunken infatuation, but it felt like love at the time.

Prior to my departure, I made myself at least five or so mixed tapes because I knew that the plane ride was going to be looooooooong! We landed in Ireland and hopped a tour bus to the tiny town of Killarney, which was actually the birthplace of many of the Irish Roman Catholic nuns who taught me in elementary school. We quickly made the acquaintance of some Irish teens, who were enjoying some ale in a local pub, who were right around our age, and who were fascinated by America and American bands. So you know what I did? I reached into my backpack and handed them all five or so of my mixed tapes.

The next day on the tour bus, while nursing a killer hangover, I deeply regretted my alcohol-induced decision – well, more so, the fact that I did not at least hang onto one cassette for myself. Eventually, we had to stop for petrol, and the fuel station where we stopped had an amazing music section. I picked up this double cassette of UK 80s hits in this awesomely packaged cover unlike anything I had ever seen in the States.

This Buzzcocks' tune was on the compilation. This song always reminds me of that Scottish lad because it was also playing on the jukebox in the pub we stopped by on the night before I had to return home, while we were roaming the streets of London, being young and carefree. **Sigh**

The Buzzcocks stopped by Deep Ellum Live for a show in 1999; so I am attaching my ticket stub:




You spurn my natural emotions
You make me feel like dirt
And I'm hurt
And if I start a commotion
I run the risk of losing you
And that's worse

Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
You shouldn't've fallen in love with

I can't see much of a future
Unless we find out what's to blame
What a shame
And we won't be together much longer
Unless we realize that we are the same

Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
You shouldn't've fallen in love with

You disturb my natural emotions
You make me feel like dirt
And I'm hurt
And if I start a commotion
I'll only end up losing you
And that's worse

Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
You shouldn't've fallen in love with

Ever fallen in love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
Ever fallen in love
In love with someone
You shouldn't've fallen in love with
Fallen in love with
Ever fallen in love with someone
You shouldn't've fallen in love with

No comments:

Post a Comment