Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week Twenty-Seven: Twenty Years of Moz - Morrissey - "Tomorrow" - Your Arsenal

Week Twenty-Seven marks the 20th anniversary of my very first Morrissey concert that took place on November 4, 1992, at Reunion Arena, on his Your Arsenal tour


[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]


My true introduction to The Smiths actually happened in reverse order. I first became familiar with Morrissey, and then I learned more of The Smiths. I realize that is not how it happened for many, but I would be fibbing if I claimed to have been a hard-core Smiths fan from the beginning --- a person who had considered ending it all upon hearing of the split... because it just didn't happen like that for me. It does not make me any less of a fan; it just means that Morrissey found me exactly when I needed him, the same way that I feel he also finds others when they are ready - almost like a religious conversion of sorts. He has been called Saint Morrissey...

So let me tell you about how I was introduced to Morrissey. Back in 1992, the Casa Linda Theater, which is located in Casa Linda Plaza and which has now been turned into my favorite grocery store – Natural Grocers, used to perform The Rocky Horror Picture Show on the weekends.  I was very close friends with two sisters, Brandy & Geneva, and their mother would frequently take us so that she could have some quality alone time with her boyfriend. One night while we were waiting outside for the performance to begin, we spoke to this very friendly and very well-coiffed gay guy who was, without question, the biggest Morrissey fan I have met to date. This guy carried around a backpack that was jam-packed with Morrissey/Smiths memorabilia, magazine clippings, cassettes, and more. It was like a portable Morrissey shrine that could be toted around on his back.

I was incredibly intrigued with Morrissey after the huge build-up this guy had created for me, and it just so happened that Morrissey released his album, Your Arsenal, around that same time. It also just so happened that a local radio station, 97.1 KEGL, was giving away tickets to the Morrissey show in Dallas at Reunion Arena, and it also just so happened that I won a pair of tickets by calling in to the station one evening. It was like fate intervened and the stars all aligned at this time in my life to help me find my dear, dear Morrissey who would ultimately come to assist me with the twists and turns that filled my teenage and young adult years!

The show was absolutely magical, and I was in awe of all of the Morrissey fans with whom I came into contact that evening. This began my quest to learn every intimate detail about Morrissey, which was not difficult because I picked up a ton of fanzines at the show.

I am also including the newspaper clipping from the Dallas Morning News that was printed the day after the show:



It was seriously the equivalent of torture to try to pick out only seven Morrissey songs for this week, but it had to be done.  I am going to start with the song, "Tomorrow," because I love the video and because it is from the Your Arsenal album.  Oh, what I wouldn't give to have wandered the streets with them in this video!!!!


Tomorrow 
Will it really come ? 
And if it does come 
Will I still be Human ? 
All I ask of you is one thing that you never do 



Would you put your arms around me ?
(I won't tell anyone) 
Tomorrow 
Does it have to come ?
All I ask of you is one thing that you'll never do 



Would you put your arms around me ?
(I won't tell anybody) 
Tomorrow
And what must come before ...



Oh, the pain in my arms 
Oh, the pain in my legs
Ooh, my shiftless body 



Tomorrow 
It's surely nearer now ? 
You don't think I'll make it
I never said I wanted to !
Well did I ? 



Oh, the pain in my arms
Oh, the pain in my legs
Oh, yeah; oh, yeah
No, yeah; no, yeah
Through my shiftless body 



Tomorrow
Tomorrow
All I ask of you ... oh ... 



Is : would you tell me that you love me 
Tell me, tell me that you love me
Tell me, tell me that you love me
Tell me that you love me !
Ah, I know you don't mean it
Ah, I know you don't mean it
Tell me, tell me that you love me
Tell me, tell me that you love me
Tell me, oh, tell me, oh
Tell me, oh, tell me, oh, tell me, oh 

No comments:

Post a Comment