Saturday, November 24, 2012

Week Thirty: iPod Picks - Tammy Wynette - "'Til I Can Make It On My Own" - Classic Country Golden 70s

For Week Thirty, I'm turning my iPod loose (in the form of putting it on shuffle) and letting it do the picking... so the seven songs for this week were chosen by my trusty little iPod who is now holding close to 5000 of my favorite songs and who is slowly but surely dying battery-wise; however, I am too attached to do an upgrade just yet...



[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]


As I mentioned in a previous post, my paternal grandmother fell victim to a phone solicitor from Time Life Records, and I'm supposing that after she became the proud owner of every Elvis Presley album they offered, she moved on to the Classic Country albums. She had various Classic Country compilations, ranging from the 1950s and all the way up through 1979.

Now, I grew up on what would be considered Classic Country music – singers like Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, George Jones, Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, & Webb Pierce. C'mon, I come from a long line of Czech, German, and Russian farmers. My ancestors were definitely partial to fiddles and accordions. So what would you expect? 

I also attended at least one Czech dance every weekend during my youth with my maternal grandparents. How many of you can say that you are the grandchild of the former Polka King & Queen of Texas?!?!? --- very precious memories, especially in light of the fact that I just lost my last remaining grandparent - my maternal grandmother - this past Wednesday evening. 

Therefore, I'm not one to snub a good Classic Country tune, by any means. I even have a deep appreciation for the greats who came after them, especially the female singers, like Barbara Mandrell, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, and today's artist, Tammy Wynette.

This song, “'Til I Can Make It On My Own”, just hits me right in the heart where it hurts the most. It is such a sad, sad song of loss, but I love it!!

To commemorate the wonderful lives of all my grandparents, I am going to include some snazzy pictures of them when they were young, vibrant, and full of life. Both sets of grandparents were phenomenal individuals. I am so lucky and so privileged to have had the opportunity to love them and to be loved by them, and I miss the hell out of all of 'em...



These are my paternal grandparents, W.J. & Mary, pictured above.


And these are my maternal grandparents, Albert & Esther, pictured above.


Finally, back in 1991, when The KLF released their song, “Justified and Ancient”, I was shocked and amazed to see that it featured Tammy Wynette. It's such an odd mash-up of genres, but it somehow works to perfection. Take a look and listen for yourself - I have posted it underneath the lyrics...


I'll need time to get you off my mind 
And I may sometimes bother you, try to be in touch with you 
Even ask too much of you from time to time 
Now and then, Lord, you know I'll need a friend
'Til I get used to losin’ you let me keep on usin’ you,
'Til I can make it on my own 

I'll get by but no matter how I try 
There'll be times you know I'll call
Chances are my tears will fall 
And I'll have no pride at all from time to time
But they say “Oh, there'll be a brighter day”
But 'til then I’ll lean on you, that's all I mean to do, 
'Til I can make it on my own 

Surely someday I'll look up and see the morning sun 
Without another lonely night behind me
Then I'll know I'm over you and all my cryin's done 
No more hurtin' memories can find me

But 'til then, Lord, you know I'm gonna need a friend
'Til I get used to losin’ you, let me keep on usin’ you 
'Til I can make it on my own
'Til I can make it on my own


No comments:

Post a Comment