Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week Twenty-Seven: Twenty Years of Moz - Morrissey - "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me" - Viva Hate


Week Twenty-Seven marks the 20th anniversary of my very first Morrissey concert that took place on November 4, 1992, at Reunion Arena, on his Your Arsenal tour


[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]*[*]


Since this album was released a mere six months after The Smiths split, there is an enormous chance that this was a message to Johnny Marr, as well as fans of The Smiths.

However, this song, for me, means something totally different.  I have a tendency to completely overextend myself, especially when it comes to helping others, and I have an incredibly difficult time saying, "NO!"

Therefore, I have found myself, many times in life, biting off way more than I can ever chew - sorry for the cliche - (ah, "Dial-A-Cliche" is another good song off this album, and no, I did not plan that! It's just how my brain operates...)

When I start feeling a teensie bit resentful for not having enough time to myself, because I am so fiercely independent by nature, I sometimes hum this song or sing the lyrics in my head.  It is oddly comforting to me, but isn't that how many of Morrissey's songs tend to be?  

I want to yell, "Please, just forget about me and ask someone else!!!"  I never do - I attribute it to that element of "Catholic guilt" that was instilled in me almost daily for most of my younger years.

One of these days, I'll learn to say, "NO!"  Until then, I have Morrissey and this song to get me through...



I don't mind 
I don't mind if you forget me 
Having learned my lesson 
I never left an impression on anyone 

So now you send me your hardened 'regards' 
When once you'd send me 'love' 
Sincerely I must tell you 
Your mild 'best wishes' 
They make me suspicious 

I don't mind 
I don't mind if you forget me 
Having learned my lesson 
I never left an impression on anyone 
The pressure to change, to move on 
Was strange 
And very strong 
So this is why I tell you 
I really do understand 
BYE BYE 

I don't mind if you forget me 
No no no no no no no 

You can only be strong for so long 
It may not eat you but it will beat you 
So this is why I tell you 
I really don't understand 
This time 

REJECTION IS ONE THING 
BUT REJECTION FROM A FOOL 
IS CRUEL 
REJECTION IS ONE THING 
BUT REJECTION FROM A FOOL 
IS CRUEL 
And I don't mind if you forget me 

No comments:

Post a Comment