Thursday, August 2, 2012

Week Thirteen: Obscure 80s - Peter Schilling - "The Different Story" - The Different Story (The World of Lust and Crime)

Okay, so maybe this isn't quite as obscure as the others, but most people associate Peter Schilling with the song, "Major Tom (Coming Home)".  In addition, hardly anyone I know would be able to identify this song by name or artist - so this would have to be an occasion where I possibly re-introduce a somewhat obscure 80s tune...

Back in the early 90s when Dallas was really a music mecca and locations like Deep Ellum and Lower Greenville Avenue were totally the places to see and be seen, Dallas hosted some of the best new-wave, 80s, retro nights from what I could tell from the radio broadcasts (because I was still a little too young to get in).

However, clubs like Arcadia, The Red Jacket, Fish Dance, Iguana Mirage, and Blue Planet would advertise their 80s nights on The EDGE. At least one of these clubs would have this Peter Schilling tune playing in the background of their radio advertisement. Who can blame them? It is an incredibly fun song to shake one's groove thing.

When I could finally get into the clubs, I don't care how exhausted I ever was from a night of dancing, as soon as I heard the opening notes to this song, I was making my way to the dance floor.

 


I'm so lonely on my way,
Waiting for a better day.
Only one thing left behind:
A world of lust and crime.

There's no place for me to hide.
I don't know what's wrong or right.
Pain and sorrow in my mind;
A world of lust and crime.

See the wise man in the graveyard;
Scream and cry the different story.
Lonely people in his old park
Know the answer just for everything.

Love turns a friendly card.
With a different story it'll open your heart.
Forever love is a dangerous game.
You don't have to worry 'cause it's easy to play.

There's a chance for me and you,
Making all our dreams come true.
Trust enough and you won't find
A world of lust and crime.

See the wise man in the graveyard;
Scream and cry the different story.
Lonely people in his old park
Know the answer just for everything.

Love turns a friendly card.
With a different story it'll open your heart.
Forever love is a dangerous game.
You don't have to worry 'cause it's easy to play.

See the wise man in the graveyard;
Scream and cry the different story.
Lonely people in his old park
Know the light of hope and glory.




No comments:

Post a Comment