Thursday, August 16, 2012

Week Fifteen: XENON Mix - V.I.M. - "Maggie's Last Party" - Oak Lawn Records: Retro Club Classics

Week Fifteen belongs to the most wickedly cool teen club that opened in Dallas in the early 90s - XENON
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

If you ever want to stump a DJ, ask them to play this song.  I have encountered many DJs, in the DFW metroplex at least, who have looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I have requested this tune!!!

However, the first place I ever heard it was at XENON, so kudos to them for being "in the know" long before many others!

Basically V.I.M. took phrases from a speech by Margaret Thatcher and spliced them together, as well as creating a danceable beat in the background, to create this fun little tune about a rave.

It took me forever to locate a copy of this track, but Oak Lawn Records out of Dallas, TX, put together a mix of Retro Club Classics, with songs like "New York" by MCL (Micro Chip League) and "American Soviets" by C.C.C.P. (both included below) to create a rare and must-have collection.

I'm sure DJs have a far easier time locating "Maggie's Last Party" these days, but that was not the case for a long while!!!





It was impossible to locate lyrics for this, but some youtube users typed out select lines; so I included some of those below:


rave, rave, rave, murder.
the bass goes on.
everybody knows that this party is best.
thatcher, power, cool, murder.
nevermind the politics.
it's a party, it's a party - yes, yes, yes.







3 comments:

  1. Here is a mix I did over the weekend. This should take you back to Metropolis/Merto/Xenon. I have other mixes if your interested.

    http://paperclipplus.com/app/getit/8b78109afb5c11e1b2c603b4d21fd7ea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! This is awesome!! I am listening right now as I am grading papers on my planning period. Believe it or not, I actually met C&C Music Factory. I won tickets and backstage passes to a Club MTV concert when I was in the 6th or 7th grade. I also met Gerardo and Color Me Badd at the same show. :-)

      I'm far more partial to the tunes that came after MCL on this mix... I love InSoc and adore Front 242... I don't necessarily dislike the hip hop sounds that started the mix, but they're not my favorite.

      Again, thanks so much for sharing this with me!!

      Delete
    2. Holy cannoli!! You have Real Life, Cause & Effect, and Anything Box on this mix... this rocks!!! Now it's starting to remind me of Retrocadia and Red Square Retro!!!

      Back to grading... ick... blah!!!

      Delete