Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Week Fifteen: XENON Mix - The Shamen - "Make It Mine" - En-Tact

Week Fifteen belongs to the most wickedly cool teen club that opened in Dallas in the early 90s - XENON
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

***UPDATE - 12/02/2012***

I've been graced with more XENON memorabilia... I chose to put it on this post because I was listening to Old School Edge this morning with Jeff K, and he played The Shamen. Here's a promotional card for XENON, and it was pointed out to me that it even has the phone number - this must have been back before we added (972) as an area code in Dallas...


Most people would remember The Shamen as a result of their dance hit, "Move Any Mountain".  However, I am here to tell you that "Make It Mine" totally kicked the arse of "Move Any Mountain"!!

The earlier work of The Shamen is often cited as the primary influence on bands like EMF and Jesus Jones; so it should not come as a surprise that The Shamen were a major staple at XENON. 

I brought a copy of this tune to The Art Bar's 80s night years and years later and convinced the DJ that 1991 was close enough to the 80s that he would be able to squeeze the song in without anyone so much as even flinching.

And I was right... no one cleared the teeny tiny dance floor and no one questioned his choice to include it because the song totally rocks that hard!!!!






Lean, mean, lazy and fine
That's the way I make it, make it mine
Sure, slow, rolling with the flow
That's the way I make it make it show
That's the way I move it
That's the way I prove it
Just so you know, here's how to do it
Now I make it, make it mine
Everytime



No comments:

Post a Comment