Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Week Seventeen: 90s Britpop - Suede - "The Drowners" - Suede

Week Seventeen will be Installment I of 90s Britpop and will feature Ash & Suede (also referred to as London Suede)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

It should come as absolutely no surprise to you when I tell you that my gay best friend in college was just as much in love with Brett Anderson of Suede as I was in love with Brett Anderson of Suede - I just like saying his name in my head as I type this!! :-D

We both went crazy when we heard him pronounce the word: "over".  In this song it sounds so superbly sexy with that English accent as it comes out sounding like: "oh-va".  For weeks, we would find reasons to say "over" just so we could sexify (not sure if that's a word) it just like Brett.

There are two versions of the video for this song - the original and the US version.  I personally prefer the original version because I find it more visually appealing.  However, the US version (included below lyrics) is equally enjoyable to watch - I mean, c'mon, it's Brett Anderson!!  How difficult is it to watch Brett Anderson?!?!?!?  :-D



Won't someone give me a gun?
oh well it's for my brother
well he writes the line wrote down my spine
It says "Oh do you believe in love there?"

So slow down, slow down, you're taking me over
And so we drown, sir we drown, stop taking me over

Won't someone give me some fun?
(and as the skin flies all around us)
We kiss in his room to a popular tune
Oh, real drowners

slow down, slow down, you're taking me over
And so we drown, sir we drown,
stop takin' me over!




No comments:

Post a Comment