Saturday, August 4, 2012

Week Fourteen: Mixed-Tape Madness - The Rentals - "Please Let That Be You" - Return of the Rentals

Week Fourteen will be dedicated to the most awesomely awesome mixed-tape that I ever received from someone with a Y-chromosome (that would be a male, for all of you who slept through science class - shame on you!!!)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back in the fall of 1997, I was embarking upon my sophomore year in college. The ability to burn one's own CDs was still cutting-edge technology; so we all resorted to cassette-making.

At this time, I had a major crush on this guy I saw around campus quite frequently. After a bit of investigating and interrogating those closest to him (i.e. the people who worked at the local coffee shop), I learned that the attraction was mutual.

This fact was further solidified when, on my way to class one day, he slipped a cassette into my hand and stated: “I made a mixed-tape for you...” I believe that my stomach dropped to my knees, and I seriously considered skipping class so that I could run home and listen to my new tape. I have no clue what my professor babbled about during that day's lecture because all I could do was stare at that cassette and wonder what could possibly be on it.

I imagine that I sprinted to my shoe-box of an apartment that day, and when I pressed play, the first tune I heard was this syrupy-sweet one by The Rentals. If I thought I was in love before, “you best believe I [was] in luv – L-U-V,” as the Shangri-La's so eloquently put it.

So what happened with this dream boy who wooed me with a cassette? Let me tell you; it was heart-breaking!! One evening over a nice dinner at my favorite Asian restaurant, Mr. Chopsticks, we realized that we knew a few of the same people. Then when we started talking about this one girl that I went to high school with, whom I considered to be a disease-infested tramp, he said the words that became the ultimate deal-breaker: “Oh, yeah, I guess I should tell you that I had a one-night stand with her.”

I think I threw up a little in my mouth, and this time when my stomach dropped to my knees, it was not that “good, excitable feeling”; it was the feeling that his tongue had been in my mouth, and I was really going to vomit. So I hightailed it to the restroom and got a little more sick, and that was the end of that. However, at least I got some really cool songs out of all of that mess - well not the vomit mess - the emotional mess!!!! :-D


Lost out in the machinery
Lifeless, slow, and cold
Alone at home, alone tonight
Walk around the complex
No visitors, no oxygen
Just me, no movement
Please let that be you
Knocking on my door so loud just like you do
Bring in a message or two
You know you are my fate and I love you
Empty, everything's technical, sterile, and endless
Inside, a malfunction
Observe and obsess
Please let that be you
Ringing my phone right now, like I wish you would do
Call in with some good news
You know you are my fate and I love you
You are my fate and I love you
Stand by my side, always be true
You are my fate and I love you
I'll raise my right hand and swear it's true
You are my fate
Please let that be you
Singing my song so nice sounding like you do
Just humming along to your tune
You know you are my fate and I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment