Friday, August 10, 2012

Week Fourteen: Mixed-Tape Madness - Echobelly - "Insomniac" - Everyone's Got One

Week Fourteen will be dedicated to the most awesomely awesome mixed-tape that I ever received from someone with a Y-chromosome (that would be a male, for all of you who slept through science class - shame on you!!!)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yes, my darling blogland readers, this was the song that concluded the most awesomely awesome mixed-tape that I ever received from someone with a Y-chromosome.  While I was looking for the Echobelly album that this song originally appeared on, I ran across a fun fact on wikipedia that I thought I would share with you: "It is based on a 4/4 alternating verse/chorus structure and may be an homage to one of Echobelly's major influences, Morrissey."  Pretty nifty info, eh?

I was indeed familiar with this tune because, believe it or not, it actually appears on the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack.  I got that soundtrack because I love, love, love the song, "Crash", by The Primitives (youtube clip included below - you owe it to yourself to listen!!!), and it turns out that the soundtrack was loaded with all kinds of little treasures, most of which I did not even remember being in the film because I was laughing so hard I nearly peed myself. 

Granted this song is about the cocaine-influenced party lifestyle of many rockers, it's still the sweetest sounding song about a cocaine-influenced party lifestyle.  So boys, don't ever think that your simple, sweet, kind, and loving little gestures have no impact on girls because I'm here to tell you that they absolutely do.  I still remember (most of) this cassette from 1997, and it still makes me slightly giddy reminiscing about it... or maybe I am just a sentimental fool... probably the latter...

Just don't go sleeping around with every tramp in town, and you may fare better than Mr. Y-chromosome!!! :-D


I think you ought to know
  I think we've lost control dear
  Whatever turned you on
  You put it up your nose dear

And though the feeling was sublime
 I think we're running out of time
 'Cause when you found it, you'd fix it
 Then lose it and then you'd go

Will you be long, will you be long dear
 Will you be long, I'm waiting
 No sleep at all, carry me home
 No sleep at all, carry me home
 Won't you take me there

I serenade the walls
 Young people have it all dear
 And surely life is a gas
 We never had it bad dear

Oh was it pointless from the start
 Or did we cultivate the arts
 I swim in circles, in puddles, in trouble and then I go
 Will I be long, will I be long dear
 Will I be strong, you're waiting


No sleep at all, carry me home

 No sleep at all, carry me home

 Won't you take me here

 I don't feel good inside, I don't feel good inside
 My darling don't you cry, home, home

No sleep at all, carry me home
No sleep at all, carry me home
 Won't you, won't you home home, won't you take me there
 I'm ready home, home, won't you take me there
I'm willing home, home, won't you take me there
 I want you home, home, won't you take me there






No comments:

Post a Comment