Monday, August 27, 2012

Week Seventeen: 90s Britpop - Ash - "What Ever Happened?" - Little Infinity (EP)

Week Seventeen will be Installment I of 90s Britpop and will feature Ash & Suede (also referred to as London Suede)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Even to this very day, I still come across little musical treasures, like this cover that Ash did of The Strokes tune, "What Ever Happened?" (original included below the lyrics).  I did not even know that Ash had done a cover EP, but when I was searching youtube for Ash's videos for my other two posts, I just happened upon this.  It's got to be a fairly new release because it was uploaded to youtube in June 2012.  It also features Emma from the band, Emmy the Great, who just so happens to be Tim Wheeler's love interest.

I adore this tune, especially after it was included on the Marie Antoinette Soundtrack, and I think The Strokes did an amazing job with this one.  However, I also really like Ash's cover.  I am typically not a huge fan of covers.  It's not that I completely dislike them; it's just that sometimes I feel like the magic is lost in the cover.  On the other hand, there are times when certain bands have totally done the original some justice, which I feel is the case here.


I want to be forgotten,
and I don't want to be reminded.
You say "Please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

I want to be beside her.
She want to be admired.
You say "Please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

Oh dear, is it really all true?
Did they offend us and they want it to sound new?
Top ten ideas for countdown shows...
Whose culture is this and does anybody know?
I wait and tell myself "Life ain't chess,"
But no one comes in and yes, you're alone...

You don't miss me, I know.

Oh Tennessee, what did you write?
I come to get her in the middle of the night.
Oh that's an ending that I can't write, 'cause
I've got you to let me down.

I want to be forgotten,
and I don't want to be reminded.
You say "Please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet.

I want to be beside her.
She want to be admired.
You say "please don't make this harder."
No, I won't yet...




No comments:

Post a Comment