Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week Sixteen: Screeching Weasel - "Leather Jacket" - Anthem for a New Tomorrow

To me, this is the ultimate break-up song.  Even if I have had an amicable parting with my significant other, I still play this song when the relationship officially ends - just for kicks... to "seal the deal", I suppose!!

I remember that on the day that I was driving home after taking my very last exam to earn my Bachelor's Degree in Literature - with a double minor in History and Communications - from UNT, this song came on my mix as I was crossing the bridge from I-35 onto 635.  I had the volume blasting, and I was singing along to the lyrics at the top of my lungs - because technically, if you think about it, I was kind of breaking up with UNT.


I wanna tell you what's on my mind
And I wanna bill you for wasted time
And wasted cigarettes that quenched your fix
And wasted spit I left there upon your lips
I'm getting used to the fact you left
And I'm getting used to the loneliness
But even if you knew that you wouldn't care
And now I sit and talk to an empty chair
And bang my head against the wall
And think up ways I should've told you to f*ck off
But I won't lose a bit of sleep
'Cause I know that you're really just a creep
And I've got something that I'm gonna keep
Forever and ever and ever
Your leather jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment