Thursday, August 23, 2012

Week Sixteen : Screeching Weasel - "Your Name is Tattooed on My Heart" - Bark Like a Dog

A few years ago, after ending yet another lengthy relationship, I came to the conclusion that I was a serial dater.  The longest I had ever gone without a boyfriend, from the ages of 17 to 30, was for 3 months.  I was fed up with the idea of pairing up, and I needed a break.  Therefore, I forced myself to remain single for a minimum of one year!

It was not incredibly difficult to do.  Most people understood and respected my choice, but a few thought it was a little weird and unnecessary.

During this time, to keep myself occupied, I began a flower garden in my back yard.  I took a tap dance class (don't laugh - it was really fun!!!)  I began sewing lots of skirts.  I joined Big Brothers Big Sisters, and I even still have my Little Sister.  I would read a lot, which was no big chore for a literature major, and I would also frequent many coffee shops around town, just to get myself out of the house.

During this time, I developed the biggest crush on one of the guys at a local independently-owned coffee establishment.  I even titled him - "my coffee shop boyfriend" - and I would give my co-workers a running log of our interactions.  Granted, we never went out on a date or had any intimacy of any kind (that would have totally defeated the purpose of being single for a year), he was still "my coffee shop boyfriend".  I didn't even know his name (nor did I even really care), but I would always preface my stories by saying: "While I am fully aware that he is being paid to serve me lattes with a smile and to be nice to me, I really think there is something there..."  My co-workers would shake their heads at me and tell me I was never going to make it a year.  Little did they know that I had made it quite clear to everyone in that coffee establishment that I was "off the market".

I did, indeed, hit my year mark, but about three weeks later, I was embarking upon my next lengthy relationship, which meant that I had to hypothetically break up with "my coffee shop boyfriend".  Since I tend to give all of my exes a song after the break-up, at least in my mind, because I never really make them aware of which song belongs to them, this was the song that I gave to him.  He had two full sleeves of tattoos, which is the only explanation I can give for why this became his song, since it would be really difficult for his name to be tattooed on my heart - because I didn't even know his name.  However, the relationship with "my coffee shop boyfriend" was, by far, the easiest relationship I had ever been in.  He doesn't work at the coffee establishment anymore.  I don't know what even ended up happening to him. 

Regardless, I no longer consider myself a serial dater.  I have a total of almost 5 months strung together since the end of my most recent relationship.  It's nice to give oneself little breaks!





Well I know that our love is for real
But I thought you should know
How I feel
So you're not going anywhere
Won't fade away
Cause your name is tattooed
On my heart
And I'll always be true
Don't forget that I won't forget you
Wherever I go what I do
And should you slip my mind
I'll have this to remind me
Your name is tattooed on my heart
And I'll always be true
Am I such a fool
To show my love for you
I know it's no mistake
And no this thing is not a fake
Don't forget that I won't forget you
Wherever I go what I do
And should you slip my mind
I'll have this to remind me
Your name is tattooed on my heart
And I'll always be true

No comments:

Post a Comment