Saturday, June 16, 2012

Week Seven: Various DFW Area Artists - Billy Goat - "Chef" - Bush Roaming Mammals

Billy Goat was a band that got its start in the same tiny town where I attended college: Denton, TX.  I actually found out about this band because one of its members was a delivery driver/oven guy for a very brief time at the Jason's Deli where I worked in high school.  At that time, I was too young to see any of their live performances because even Trees required one to be 17 years old to get in.  I was only 16 at the time and could not, for the life of me, acquire a decent fake ID.  However, I encountered many local musicians while working at "the deli", as we so lovingly called it.

A few others that I recall off the top of my head would be Reed Easterwood, who was also a delivery driver and who toured with MC 900 ft. Jesus.  (He actually wanted me to take him to my senior prom, as a joke - so that I could tell my grandchildren one day that I went to prom with a rock star, but I told him that I could not justify paying to hang out with people that I hated when I could hang out with them for free every day.)  Greg, from Hash Palace, was also one of our delivery drivers.  The girls from The Dixie Chicks would play next door at The Pocket Sandwich Theater, so they would come over for hot tea and coffee before shows.  Matt and Lance from Quickserv Johnny would stop by quite frequently.  One of the guys from Hagfish would stop by on occasion.  I'm sure others dropped by too, and I'll probably recall some more when I am drifting off to sleep shortly.

I had some of the best times of my life hanging out with my coworkers at "the deli".  I still drive by it frequently when I am traveling down Mockingbird Lane, and it always puts a smile on my face, just like this song.




It was impossible to locate the lyrics.  I even own the CD and looked in the liner notes, but all you really need to know is: "Chef Boyardee and Mrs. Baird had a baby...oh oh oh oh-oh-oh oh oh oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh".


No comments:

Post a Comment