Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Week Seven: Various DFW Area Artists: Hagfish - "Stamp" - ...Rocks Your Lame Ass

I'll start off by saying: "What a dirty, dirty little song!"  So it makes it even funnier that when I was enticed by my parents (with the offer of gas money) to pick up my younger brother and sister from their elementary school, I would often be rocking out to Hagfish, with the two of them in the back screaming at the top of their lungs - "Eat it while I work!!!"

Now, why I felt it was acceptable to openly like Hagfish, in my uber-goth state in 1995, and not Deep Blue Something, probably had something to do with the fact that the drummer from Hagfish would sometimes stop by the deli, and he was a super nice guy.  Plus I had a handful of punk rock friends at that time, and they tolerated (not liked) Hagfish and would go to their shows with me.

I saw them play live at least a dozen times around town, and geez, they were filthy-mouthed boys.  Later on, after breaking up and re-uniting, they played quite a few Christmas shows at the Gypsy Tea Room.  I know that I caught at least one of them in 2003 or 2004.  I'm not sure if they're still playing shows.  I know that the brothers played with other bands and filled in on tours and such.  I haven't seen their name in The Observer in ages, so I'm guessing not.

***UPDATE - 12/27/2012 --- The original video I selected is now blocked due to copyright infringement, but somebody uploaded a youtube video from their Christmas 2012 show, which I sadly missed...



She invited me in and
she gave me a drink
She looked at me and
smiled and she said

Give me, give me
something to hold on to
give me, give me
something to hold on to
Will you remove my shoes and
lift up my skirt
Will you eat my box while I work
Eat it while I work

She touched my chest and
I touched her breast
She kissed my lips and
I kissed her lips
And she said

No comments:

Post a Comment