Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week Seven: Various DFW Area Artists - Sunglasses & Sugar - "My Favourite Story" - VuVuZuelas

Just shy of a week ago, I was sitting in a local Starbucks, finishing up some Bankruptcy Law homework, when a very heavily tattooed fellow approached me to point out that we shared a mutual appreciation for Morrissey.  I just so happened to be wearing a Morrissey shirt that day.  After I also showed him my newly-crafted Smiths bag, he proceeded to introduce himself as Darlington.

For a brief moment, I thought to myself, "Wow, this kat totally ripped off that name from that band I always used to hear Josh, from The Adventure Club, talking about!"  However, then he pulled out a copy of this CD and told me I should check it out.  It turns out that this Darlington is one and the same.

I have to tell you folks that this CD is as sugary sweet as enjoying an overflowing bubblegum-flavored snow cone on a scorching hot Texas summer afternoon... and I adore it!!  This song, in particular, reminds me of the film, That Thing You Do!, and could have been a total hit for the movie band, The Wonders.  It has such a snappy '60s pop feel to it.  I would also like to point out that I totally dig the British form spelling of the word: "favourite".

Coming closely behind in 2nd place is the song, "Tall Girls".  Being a tall girl myself, measuring in at 5'10" on any given day, and easily 6' with heels, it's about damn time there was a song of appreciation for those of us who are anything but height-challenged.  And yes, as a matter of fact, I did play volleyball and basketball in middle school.  Plus he threw in some totally doowopish "shoo-bops" toward the end, for which I am a total sucker.

When you factor in the references to Sense and Sensibility (especially since Pride and Prejudice is the Austen novel that is always mentioned everywhere else), book stores, libraries, soda shops, all things rockabilly, and of course, Morrissey and the Stray Cats, I feel that this CD has earned itself an A+ and a gold star!  Yes, I am allowed to hand out both because I have been employed as a teacher for going on to nine years now, and I know when to award superior efforts (and when to make a career change - hence the Bankruptcy Law homework)!! :-D

One final thought: It's awesome to know that another human being uses the term skedaddle.  I thought I was a lone soul in that regard.  I'm constantly telling my students to skedaddle on to their next class when they linger in my room too long after the bell rings.


Obviously, with it being a fairly new release, there are no Youtube videos to place in this very spot where I normally place them in other posts.  So what I will offer you instead is a link to purchase the album in MP3 format:


Also, since I don't have access to the lyrics, which I normally place here in my posts, I have created a checklist of words and phrases for this tune.  If you fancy any of the following, you should give this song a listen:

_____ Junior Mints
_____ Pompadours
_____ Pale Skin
_____ Histrionic Drama Queens
_____ Epic
_____ Endearing
_____ Mercury
_____ Superlatives
_____ Flatteries
_____ Unrequited
_____ Unassumingly
_____ Romance
_____ Devastatingly 
_____ Monumentally
_____ Unconditionally
_____ Fantasy
_____ Fateful day

3 comments:

  1. Hey Anastasia, thanks for listening! We have to agree, we are totally adorable. And we seem to love adverbs almost as much as you do, so yeah, gold stars all around!

    You should come see us play Barley House in Dallas on November 3. We'll dedicate "Tall Girls" to you, promise. Also, bring friends. Lots of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already planning on being in attendance on November 3rd. I've got the friends - lots of friends - covered as well. As for adverbs, I haven't yet met a literature teacher, such as myself, who does not possess a great fondness for them. Adverbs rock - almost as much as your band!! :-)

    And kudos to you for the double entendre in the song, "My Favourite Story" --- I read about it on your website. How amazingly cool is that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete