Saturday, June 2, 2012

Week Five: Peter Murphy - "I'll Fall With Your Knife" - Cascade

So back in the early 90s, when I embarked upon my goth phase, I was met with a pretty tangled web of what amounted to numerous band member connections, or to put it in simpler terms - it seemed like many of these band members "got around" - not necessarily in a sexual manner, you dirty-minded blogland readers... (But who am I kidding?!?! They probably did that too!!!)

So where do I begin?  Well, you have the connection of Robert Smith playing on Siouxsie's Nocturne album, and you have the connection of Robert Smith and Steve Severin forming The Glove.  You also have other founding members of The Cure going off to form the band, Presence.  However, the ultimate split in the goth world, in my opinion, turned out to be the Bauhaus split - forming Peter Murphy's solo career and also Tones on Tail and then Love & Rockets.

Now, it seems quite simple when stated in the above manner, but in the early 90s, which translates to pre-internet days for me, this kind of research required one to spend hours in libraries/book stores/record shops, flipping through magazines and music-related books to acquire such knowledge.

Regardless, I have had the pleasure of seeing both Peter Murphy and Love & Rockets at least two times a piece.  I can't say which act assumes the place of "my favorite" because I appreciate them both for separate factors, but I can say that, of all the tunes that Peter Murphy has pumped out in his solo career, "I'll Fall With Your Knife" is definitely "my favorite".



To the crowd
To the world
You were so dry
And with the token bird I made
Send it to fly right to your side
With the broken wing you sailed

Oh like winter in July
A barren river wide
I'll pray for the flood
To wash on you
It's here I'll be with you

Well if the birds can reach the sky
To this land I'll be with you
'Til the sun bursts from your side
With my hands I reach to you
When you think your chance is passing by
When you blow your moon away
I'll bleed like the reed
Fall with your knife
It's here I'll be with you

I'll fall

No comments:

Post a Comment