Monday, August 5, 2013

Week Sixty-Six: Lollapalooza '93 - Dinosaur Jr. - "Start Choppin'"- Where You Been

This month marks twenty years since my very first Lollapalooza tour which took place on August 1, 1993, at the Starplex Amphitheater in Dallas, TX


*LOLLAPALOOZA*LOLLAPALOOZA*LOLLAPALOOZA*


I've actually seen Dinosaur Jr. twice. The first time, of course, was as one of the main stage bands at Lollapalooza '93. The second time was at Trees in Deep Ellum two days before my 20th birthday, on October 25, 1997. Interestingly enough, my second dorm mate, Jenny, whom I've already mentioned a time or two on this blog, was a huge Dinosaur Jr. fan, and since she knew that they covered "Just Like Heaven" and since she knew it was my all-time favorite song, she bought us tickets for my birthday. When they played "Just Like Heaven", Jenny and I went wild dancing --- we were twirling each other around all over the place. When the song was over, J. Mascis said that he would like to "thank the dancers..." Since I didn't see any strippers in the general direction where he was nodding, which was right at Jenny and at me, I'm assuming that he was talking to us!!! :-D



If you are a Dinosaur Jr. fan, you may or may not know this, but J. Mascis composed the soundtrack for and made an appearance in one of my favorite movies, Gas Food Lodging, starring Ione Skye and Fairuza Balk. You owe it to yourself to watch it if you have never seen it!!!


In addition to posting the videos for "Start Choppin'" and their cover of "Just Like Heaven", I'm also including a few of my other favorites by them --- "Out There" and "Feel the Pain"...



There's no goin' back to that I'm so numb, can't even react Didn't say it's not ok But we aren't dealin' the same way I ain't tellin' you a secret I ain't tellin' you goodbye It's the last thing on my mind Still you won't let things unwind Spinnin' tight around your head Can't you hear a word I've said? I ain't tellin' you a secret I ain't tellin' you goodbye When you call it's just not fair It's the last thing you should share I can't deal, I'll let you know Still I wish you'd let it go I ain't tellin' you a secret I ain't tellin' you goodbye I'm tellin' you for one last time It's not just you, the problem's mine to hide I waited as long as I could If you need it, sure I would, that's fine [Solo] 

Well, there's no goin' back to that I'm so numb can't even react Didn't say it's not ok But we aren't dealin' the same way I ain't tellin' you a secret I ain't tellin' you goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye I'm tellin' you for one last time It's not just you, the problem's mine to hide I waited as long as I could If you need it, sure I would, that's fine I'm takin' away a lot of stuff I'm tellin' you it's rough but not goodbye [Solo]







And here's the trailer for Gas Food Lodging to entice you to watch:



No comments:

Post a Comment