Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Week Sixty-Six: Lollapalooza '93 - Alice in Chains - "Would?" - Singles Soundtrack

This month marks twenty years since my very first Lollapalooza tour which took place on August 1, 1993, at the Starplex Amphitheater in Dallas, TX

*LOLLAPALOOZA*LOLLAPALOOZA*LOLLAPALOOZA*


Yes, I first discovered Alice in Chains by watching the film, Singles. My mother and I loved that film so much that we saw it at least twice in the theater. In fact, I still own my copy on VHS and will gladly provide you with a scan, of course:



To me, the story of Alice in Chains is such a heartbreaking tale. To see someone with the level of talent and charisma that Layne Staley possessed allow himself to succumb to a life of alcohol and drugs just tears me to pieces. Then to know that he died all alone and rotted there for two weeks before being discovered is almost too much to stomach.

When Mike Starr, who played bass for Alice in Chains, was part of Celebrity Rehab, I still had television at that time, and I was still in the process of studying to become a substance abuse counselor. I remember Mike mentioning that Layne had reached out to him immediately prior to Layne's death, but Mike was too busy and was trying to get his life together.

Layne's mother visited Mike on the show and told him that he would have to let that go if he wanted to get better. She told Mike that it would kill her to see him succumb to drugs in the same manner as Layne. Sadly, almost nine years after Layne passed away, Mike died from substance abuse, as well.

In addition to "Would?", I am also including two of my other favorites, "Heaven Beside You" and "No Excuses"...



Know me broken by my master,
Teach thee a child, love hereafter,

Into the flood again,
Same old trip it was back then,
So I made a big mistake,
Try to see it once my way.

Drifting body, its sole exertion.
Flying, not yet quite the notion.

Into the flood again,
Same old trip it was back then,
So I made a big mistake,
Try to see it once my way.

Into the flood again,
Same old trip it was back then,
So I made a big mistake,
Try to see it once my way.

Am I wrong?
Have I run too far to get home
Have I gone?
left you here alone

Am I wrong?
Have I run too far to get home, yeah
Have I gone?
left you here alone

If I would, could you?






No comments:

Post a Comment