Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Week Sixty-Seven: Boys Soundtrack - Del Amitri - "Tell Her This" - Soundtrack

So back in 1996, Winona Ryder co-starred with Lukas Haas in the film, Boys. The film was completely underwhelming, but the soundtrack was phenomenal; so I am going to cover four of the tracks from the soundtrack over the course of this week!!!

*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*

I have a bit of a funny tale about this band, Del Amitri. As I have previously mentioned, I finally made it across the pond and over to the U.K. in the summer of 1995. I could not wait to get overseas to see what the number one Rock track would be in England during the time I was there. Since this was right around the period of the hey-day of all of the major Brit Pop artists, I just knew it was going to be something amazing!!! I was a bit shocked when I discovered that the ultra-poppy Del Amitri tune, "Roll to Me", spent both weeks that I was there at the number one position...seriously?!?!?! (Interestingly enough, Wikipedia claims that Del Amitri never had a top ten UK single, but all of the music stores we went into had it displayed as their #1 selling single... and the music stations we tuned into had it as #1 on the countdown shows...)

It's not a bad song or anything, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting from the Brits as their number one at that time. So in addition to today's song, "Tell Her This", which is an incredibly lovely tune, I am going to also include "Roll to Me"...



Tell her not to go 
I ain't holding on no more 
Tell her something in my mind freezes up from time to time 

Tell her not to cry 
I just got scared that's all 
Tell her I'll be by her side, all she has to do is call, all she has to do is call 

Tell her the chips are down 
I drank too much and shouted it aloud 
Tell her something in my heart 
Needs her more than even clowns need the laughter of the crowd 

Tell her what was wrong 
I sometimes think too much 
But say nothing at all 
And tell her from this high terrain, I am ready now to fall, I am ready now to fall 

Tell her not to go 
I ain't holding on no more 
Tell her nothing if not this; all I want to do is kiss her 

Tell her something in my mind 
Freezes up from time to time.




No comments:

Post a Comment