Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Week Sixty-Nine: Naughty, Naughty!! - The Normal - "Warm Leatherette" - Just Say Yesterday Compilation

For Week Sixty-Nine, I'm going to be a bit saucy and bold and present to you songs that are of a slightly naughty nature

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()


So even though I have already mentioned this song a time or two on my blog, I haven't posted it for you yet because I was saving it for "Naughty, Naughty!!" week. The first time I heard this one was out at The Church at The Lizard Lounge. It's not exactly the easiest tune to dance to, but that never stopped me!!!

I had the hardest time locating a copy of this song, but I lucked out when I happened upon it on the Just Say Yesterday Compilation that I found one day on cassette at one of the big chain music stores. If you recall from my B-Movie post about the tune, "Nowhere Girl", it was the very same compilation that introduced me to that little gem, as well. I mentioned in that post that I had put the song on repeat, but the more I think about it, I was actually rewinding and fast forwarding until I acquired it on CD --- for all of you who actually remember those lovely times!!! :-D

I looked up some info about this song on Wikipedia and discovered the following:

"The lyrics of 'Warm Leatherette' reference J.G. Ballard's controversial 1973 novel Crash, which had heavily influenced Daniel Miller. Together with his college friend, he had worked on a film script based on the book, but after the project was abandoned, Miller decided to 'write a song encapsulating [the script] in 2 and a half minutes'. The song was recorded in Miller's apartment using 2 Revox B-77 tape machines. Series of sawtooth waves were recorded on a $150 Korg 700S synthesizer."

I have said it before, and I will say it again: "Korg synthesizers rock my socks off!!!" :-D


See the breaking glass
In the underpass
See the breaking glass
In the underpass
Warm leatherette

Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel
Hear the crushing steel
Feel the steering wheel

Warm leatherette

Warm leatherette

Warm leatherette
Melts on your burning flesh
You can see your reflection
In the luminescent dash

Warm leatherette

A tear of petrol
Is in your eye
The hand brake
Penetrates your thigh
Quick - Let's make love
Before you die

On warm leatherette
Warm leatherette

Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette
Warm leatherette

Join the car crash set

No comments:

Post a Comment