Monday, December 10, 2012

Week Thirty-Two: Pocket Rockers - Tiffany - "I Think We're Alone Now" - Tiffany

Talking about my iPod got me to thinking about all the super-cool music contraptions my parents purchased me when I was younger. My absolute favorite had to be my Pocket Rocker that I got at Toys 'R Us one Christmas... so I am going to take you way back to my Pocket Rocker days.

***Please Note*** - all band information has been pulled straight from Wikipedia because I am coming up on final exams and mock trials for my classes... therefore, my creativity is dwindling --- however, if I do recall something, I will be more than happy to share


%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&

In the battle between the teen queens, Tiffany vs. Debbie Gibson, in my social circle, Tiffany definitely won out. She was a bit edgier than Debbie Gibson, and she even dated Jonathan Knight from New Kids on the Block and went on tour with them, which upped her coolness factor substantially over Debbie Gibson. Plus, Tiffany rocked a jean jacket and a leather jacket way better than Debbie Gibson, and I was all about the jean jackets and leather jackets at that time.

And in an effort to continue to support local favorites, Sunglasses & Sugar, I made it out to another wonderful performance at The Barley House this past Saturday where they played "Pop Like Tiffany" from their VuVuZuelas album. The first time I ever listened to it, I really did laugh out loud when I heard the lines: "'cause I wanna be Pop like Tiffany; I wanna be Pop like Gibson, Debbie..." - quite cleverly-crafted lyrics. And in case you were holding your breath with anticipation waiting to hear the outcome, there were, indeed, wrapped gifts - I knew they wouldn't disappoint!!! I scored a double-vinyl set of Fifty Christmas Favorites... actually, I wrestled it away from my gay best friend, who never leaves his house for anything but who insisted that he had to come hear "Tinsel Tree" played live. And people, you need to come support this band --- they completely rock --- everyone that I invited was totally blown away by their music and proudly walked away with the new maxi-single!!!!


***UPDATE*** 12/20/2012 --- Here's a fun photo of Donnie - my friend who reluctantly gave up the double LP of Christmas tunes - and me at the Sunglasses & Sugar show. Since my middle name is Marie, he calls us Donnie & Marie... as in The Osmonds!



And here's Wikipedia's take on Tiffany:

"Tiffany Renee Darwish (born October 2, 1971), known popularly as Tiffany, is an American singer and former teen icon. She is most notable for her 1987 remake of "I Think We're Alone Now", originally recorded by Tommy James and the Shondells in 1967. Released as the second single from her eponymous album, Tiffany, the song quickly became a teen anthem. Thanks to an original mall tour, "The Beautiful You: Celebrating The Good Life Shopping Mall Tour '87", Tiffany became a pop sensation; both the single and the album peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200 charts, respectively. The singles, "Could've Been" and "I Saw Him Standing There", a feminine cover version of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There", followed soon after, with the former also claiming the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100.


Although Tiffany's second album, Hold an Old Friend's Hand managed to chart in 1988, it failed to replicate the success of her debut album. The 1990s saw two additional releases, 1990's New Inside and the Asia-exclusive Dreams Never Die, both of which failed to rekindle substantial interest. Tiffany returned in 2001 with her first album in six years, The Color of Silence. While the album received some minor critical success, it failed to achieve any significant standing. Since then, Tiffany recorded four additional full-length albums, including an album of 80s cover songs, focusing on a variety of genres including country and dance, and she continues to tour."


Here's the video for "I Think We're Alone Now", and I'm including another hit, "Could've Been", below the lyrics...



Children behave
that's what they say when we're together
and watch how you play
they don't understand
and so we're

Chorus:
Running just as fast as we can
holdin' on to one another's hand
tryin' to get away into the night
and then you put your arms around me
and we tumble to the ground
and then you say

I think we're alone now
there doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound

Look at the way
we gotta hide what we're doin'
'cause what would they say
if they ever knew
and so we're

Repeat chorus

I think we're alone now
there doesn't seem to be anyone around
I think we're alone now
the beating of our hearts is the only sound







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming, Anastasia! I'm glad you like the double LP, but you missed out on the DVD version of John Travolta's 1976 made for TV masterpiece, "The Boy In The Bubble." Although I imagine that may have been more difficult to wrest from your friends cold, gay, hands.

    As always, we truly appreciate all of your support!

    Matt
    S&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Matt, I hope it puts your mind at ease to know that I am, indeed, the proud new owner of said DVD. Apparently, my table-mates thought it would be a fabulous idea to slip it into my bag when I went to the restroom. I found it yesterday when I reached for my wallet to pay for my groceries. Although, I do remember Molly Shannon's character, Mary Katherine Gallagher, quoting lines from it in the film, Superstar, while she is rewinding those films, and as lame as it sounds, I have always kind of wanted to see it! So merci beaucoup for that little treasure as well!!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad the DVD found a nice home. It, along with the double LP of Christmas songs, has been sitting in my schlock pile for years.

      Delete
    3. Well, you know what "they" say --- "One man's schlock is another girl's treasure"... or... something... like... that... But I find it hard to believe that an album with such a wonderful rendition of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" is being referred to as "schlock" - good word, by the way!!!

      Delete
    4. OK, so maybe "schlock" is the wrong word to describe that one. But it's definitely "shmaltz," right? I don't know, all of my yiddish comes from Mel Brooks movies.

      Delete
    5. Ummmmm, yeah okay, I'll let "shmaltz" slide by on that one... but, in the meantime, you really need to talk to Darlington about allowing you to contribute to some of the lyrical content on your upcoming material... I think that you're on to something big here with your fancy Yiddish vocabulary!!! ;-D

      Delete