Friday, December 28, 2012

Week Thirty-Four: Leftovers - Air - "Sexy Boy" - Moon Safari


That's right, my dearest blogland companions, you're getting a week's worth of leftovers... If you ever got around to reading the Introduction to this blog, you might remember that I mentioned that I had a precursory blog to The Soundtrack of a Heartbreak Beat that I was indirectly forced to shut down by my employer. However, I still have lots of fun posts on that one that are kind of hanging in limbo, so I'm transferring a few of them over for your viewing pleasure. Don't worry, though, I'll be back with more fun & fresh posts in 2013!!!
~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~#



“Sexy Boy” – what an interesting little tune!! This song rose to fame around 1998. At that time, I was working at that coffee shop called Torrefazione Italia, which was located inside the Virgin Records Megastore at Grapevine Mills Mall, and this video was in their loop. 

It wasn’t the greatest job by any means (in fact, I was assaulted by a mentally-deranged customer one morning – he grabbed me by the wrist and tried to push me back into the kitchen because I told him that he would have to pay $1.00 for a Coke... there were police and pressing charges involved and the whole shebang), but the Virgin Megastore played music and/or music videos all day long; so that made it much more tolerable.

“Sexy Boy” is a lovely, little electronic tune with French and English interspersed. When I first saw the video, I couldn’t help but flashback to “Take on Me” by a-ha, with the cartoon/real-life mix. However, where “Take on Me” makes me want to break out my best 80’s dance moves and attempt to hit the high notes, “Sexy Boy” makes me want to lie in a field of daffodils looking up at the odd cloud shapes whilst trying to figure out the meaning of life.

“Sexy Boy” also takes me back to a time of Lattes, Mochas, and Cappucinos and watching all the sexy music-loving boys walk out in bliss with their over-priced purchases from the Virgin Megastore. 





Sexy boy, sexy boy... 

Où sont tes héros aux corps d'athlètes
Où sont tes idoles mal rasées, bien habillées


(Where are your heroes with bodies like athletes
Where are your rough shaven, well dressed idols.)


Sexy boy, sexy boy... 

Dans leurs yeux des dollars
Dans leurs sourires des diamants
Moi aussi un jour je serai beau comme un Dieu


(Dollars in their eyes
Diamonds in their smiles
One day I too will be beautiful like a god.)


Sexy boy, sexy boy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment