Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Week Thirty-Two: Pocket Rockers - Debbie Gibson - "Only in My Dreams" - Out of the Blue

Talking about my iPod got me to thinking about all the super-cool music contraptions my parents purchased me when I was younger. My absolute favorite had to be my Pocket Rocker that I got at Toys 'R Us one Christmas... so I am going to take you way back to my Pocket Rocker days.

***Please Note*** - all band information has been pulled straight from Wikipedia because I am coming up on final exams and mock trials for my classes... therefore, my creativity is dwindling --- however, if I do recall something, I will be more than happy to share


%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&

As promised, if I could recall a story in relation to any of these artists/songs from my very early musical development, I would be happy to share... and I have a story about Ms. Debbie Gibson... well, actually about her perfume.

So, when I was in the 3rd grade, I played soccer on an all-girls team called Almost Angels. We were completely undefeated every season, and we were constantly playing championship games. One particularly grueling game occurred right before my summer vacation was to begin. I swear that the other team was composed of Amazon-type girls. They were huge... and mean. So, at one point, I was going for the ball, and my opponent got to it first. When I went to kick, I missed the ball and kicked her leg instead. I ended up with a broken ankle... in three, yes three, different places.

So that summer, I had to wear two different casts; one that went all the way up to my thigh, followed by one that went to my knee. Being that it was the middle of summer, that cast really began to smell unpleasant. Therefore, I assumed that spraying a bit of Debbie Gibson's new scent, Electric Youth Perfume, down into the cast would clear that problem right up. Au contraire, my dear blogland companions... I thought that the poor technician who had to cut the cast off was going to begin convulsing from the wretched mix of Electric Youth Perfume and cast aroma. It was, to say the least, really, really gross!!!!

And now, here's some info pulled from Wikipedia about Debbie Gibson:

"Deborah Ann "Debbie" Gibson (born August 31, 1970) is an American singer-songwriter, record producer, and actress. In 1988 she was pronounced the youngest artist to write, produce, and perform a #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100, with her song "Foolish Beat" and she remains the youngest female to write, record, and perform a #1 single.

In 1987, while performing around the United States at nightclub venues, Gibson was recording what would become her debut album, "Out Of The Blue". It was recorded in four weeks. Four singles from Out Of The Blue reached the Top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100: "Only in My Dreams", "Shake Your Love", "Out Of The Blue", and the #1 hit "Foolish Beat", followed by "Staying Together", which performed more modestly, reaching #22. "Foolish Beat" set a record for Gibson, making her (at 17) the youngest artist ever to write, produce, and perform a Billboard #1 single, as entered in the 1988 Guinness Book of World Records, and she remains the youngest female artist to do so. Out Of The Blue was established as a hit album and she had success in the UK and southeast Asia, filling stadiums with her Out Of The Blue tour. By the end of 1988, Out of the Blue had gone triple platinum. The Out Of The Blue music video compilation was certified platinum by the RIAA; the concert tour video was certified 2x platinum. In October 1988, Gibson sang the national anthem for Game One of the Major League Baseball World Series. Electric Youth was released in early 1989, and spent five weeks at #1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart. The first single released, "Lost in Your Eyes", was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, garnering her another achievement as the first female to have both an album and single simultaneously at #1. (She shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.) Subsequent singles from the album were "Electric Youth" (#11), "No More Rhyme" (No. 17), and "We Could Be Together" (No. 71). The Electric Youth album was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA. The successful "Electric Youth" world tour and Live Around the World VHS (2x platinum) followed."

Also, here's an image of Debbie's Electric Youth Perfume... I can barely look at it without wanting to dry heave... I'm also including my other favorite Debbie Gibson tune below the lyrics, called "Lost in Your Eyes"...





VERSE 1:
Every time I'm telling secrets
I remember how it used to be
And I realized how much I miss you
And I realize how it feels to be free

Now I see I'm up to no good (no, no, no)
And I wanna start again
Can't remember when I felt good (baby)
No I can't remember when

CHORUS:
No, only in my dreams
As real as it may seem
It was only in my dreams

VERSE 2:
Couldn't see how much I missed you (now I do)
Couldn't see how much it meant
Now I see my world come tumbling down
(tumbling down my world)
Now I see the road is bent

If I only once could hold you (no, no, no)
And remember how it used to be
If only I could scold you
And forget how it feels to be free

CHORUS

No, no, no, no, only in my dreams
As real as it may seem
It was only in my dreams

CHORUS

No, no, no, no, only in my dreams
As real as it may seem
It was only in my dreams

No, no, no, only in my dreams
As real as it may seem
It was only in my dreams



No comments:

Post a Comment